Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Kampala: Love Hate relationship... mostly love

There are things about Kampala which I really love. There are things about Kampala I cannot stand. But overall, at this moment, even with the million annoying things that happened today, I am happy to be here. I have realized that there are some things which I, at this point, need in my life. Those are people and travel, in no specific order.

When I come to Kampala I have been staying with my friends Susanna and Peter. They have a 10 month old son, who is the joy of my heart… so beautiful and fun. I am his only white aunty, and he is well use to me now. Peter and Susanna are a great couple who laugh a lot and have a comfortable home. I generally watch a lot of tv and spend some quality hang out time on their couch. It’s great to chill in a more familiar feeling environment… they have comfortable couches! A novel concept.

I came to Kampala for 3 reasons: 1. Immigration 2. An introduction and wedding and 3. To meet with my friends from Sudan, most specifically Father Herald.

I am glad that all of those things converged in one time because I needed to get out of Mbarara for a bit. As much as things about Kampala can bug me: Taxi men who say they are going somewhere, then leave you in the middle of the city with no clue where you are, extortion all the time because of your skin, and other annoyances… I do love this city. And I am learning it, which makes me happy.

Today I went to the US Embassy in Kampala for the first time. Apparently you have to have an appointment, which I was never informed of via that embassy emails . So I was there for over an hour just trying to get a stamp on a piece of paper for notarization. No go. (In the waiting room I did meet the son of a random contact in the states, whos family my best friend’s family is very close to. Small world…)

I was late for my meeting with my friend fr. Henry, who ended up picking me up because it was raining. I had tea and chatted with him, helped him with a project we’ve been working on, then jumped a boda over to Garden City… white people land. At first I really didn’t like Garden City. It’s where white people gather because you can actually find food and things that you want and need.

Then I discovered a Lebanese restaurant which makes amazing humus. I now go every time I am in Kampala and pay far too much for a vat of my favorite food! So today I met with Eric from cornerstone in the food court. We chatted about Eastern University’s Masters in International Development Course, which I am very interested in… it’s for working professionals. Then we chatted about living in Uganda as a white person. He has some very very well thought out things to say, which really encouraged and inspired me. It gave me a new perspective which I really appreciate. …Basically he said that we are bridges… we shouldn’t strive to be another African, because that is not what the world needs from us. His insights were wonderfully simple but also needed. That man is going to go far.

Finally I made my last stop for the day… and got ripped off totally going there. Grr. Immigration. I thankfully have a friend inside who is a great lady. We actually found out that we were at the same conference in Rome in 2006!! Crazy. The world is sooo small… again.

However the news was not so good. I have to get a letter from a larger organization then I had, and there were other complications as well. Long story short, I’ll start the work permit process in a few months time, then officially get it when I return from Europe in July. This means, however, that I must leave the country within 30 days. And I will have to get a multi entry visa when I am coming back in…for $100… I think that will work, hopefully. I had been on the fence about whether to go to Rwanda next week or not… but now it is for sure. I actually HAVE to go. Hooray! I’ve always wanted to go to Rwanda. I hear Kigali is amazing.

It was an annoying meeting at immigration for sure, the people were very nice, but the situation is confusing and time consuming. I was saying to my friend Henry today that I just wish there was a global passport/citizenship... free movement. I do want to have 2 passports before I die. (I have strange life goals)

Tomorrow, hopefully, holds my first introduction! This is the traditional cultural wedding in Uganda. I hope that it is fun. It’ll all be in Luganda, but I am hoping someone from Emmaus will be there to keep me company. We shall see. Friday… maybe Harry Potter, for sure a meeting with Father Herald. Saturday, Dennis and Agnes’ wedding! Sunday, sleep at Emmaus, home to Mbarara. Monday or Tuesday… to Rwanda!

I took this week off the school because otherwise I would have been illegally in the country. Then next week the students are going to spend the week outside of the community doing different services in a local area. So I was told I shouldn’t go for health reasons, which is why I can go to Rwanda and not be at school.

So I am breathing this week, and enjoying in Kigali next. It’s a nice break. The last few weeks have been a bit rocky. For now, I’ll enjoy the big city. The good and the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment