Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Create-a-boyfriend and other stories

Yes. I have had to pull the old "imaginary boyfriend" move twice recently. You know, the one you pull out at McDonald's drive throughs in high school when the guy at the window is hitting on you. That one.

Today it was with our friend the taxi man, who is deeply hurt that I won't cheat on my (fake) significant other with him, and that I won't get him a white woman NOR give him advice on how to get a white woman. Yes, this is all happening by the side of the road as I am trying to get a taxi home. But he always manages to get me a small taxi for 2,000 shillings. The man is good at what he does.

I have NO moral qualms about lying about my single state. It is honestly for physical protection and I don't think there will be any implications for that. Of course it will be much easier when it isn't a lie. Until then, bring on the 6 ft 4 inch buff football player type. I think that'll do.

I went Christmas shopping today and can honestly say it was my first truly successful shopping trip in Mbarara. I am finally learning the place well. I bought myself a Christmas gift... an electric kettle. Water (drinking and non) has been an issue of late. And with the dry season fast approaching, I know it will just get worse. I needed to be able to make drinking water in my room. The added bonus is that now I will have hot water to bathe with!!! :D Merry Christmas to me. Water!

We're having a party for the DTS tomorrow. I am excited. The whole point is to have a heck of a lot of fun. We spent a bunch of time decorating the room today, and the guys went fishing in the ponds for our meal! I hope to get a camera to borrow for the occasion. It's a nice way to create some good memories and get some time just with the students. Christmas will be very busy with the whole community!

I met a peace corps volunteer today. A nice girl from Texas.

Christmas is coming... I just can't fathom it. I have an amazing tan, and it is late December!

Last weeks course went really well. We all learned a lot about our selves and each other. Next week we will do even more personality stuff and look at how different personalities interact on teams. This helps leaders know how to make teams and work with different people. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment