Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Rwanda, land of a thousand hills... land of my heart

I love Rwanda. I arrived in Rwanda for my first visit on Tuesday afternoon. I took public transportation which was quite an adventure, and included french lessons in a taxi and nice women to show me which car to take. Over all it was uneventful and mildly enjoyable.

Why am I in Rwanda? I needed to leave Uganda for visa reasons. It is the week when the students are working in a church far out in the village... I couldn't go because of food. Also, I have always wanted to go to Rwanda and it is actually very close to Mbarara, where I live. I made a friend, Antony, a few weeks ago (actually we'd been in touch, but never met) and he lives here in Kigali. So it worked out.

I am currently sitting in the computer room of the Rwanda YWAM base (Youth with a mission). Yesterday we (me and a bunch of the YWAM people) went to a museum 2 hours from here in the next major city. It was fantastic to drive through this tiny country.

Rwanda is ravishingly beautiful. The hills roll over the entire country. Every turn on the winding roads provide yet another breath taking view! I am staying with an amazing family, the husband and wife are called Method and Mary. They run the YWAM work here... and are trying to recruit me. It's cute. I have been incredibly inspired by all the people I am meeting. This trip has been really good for me.

But truly, Rwanda is amazing. It is different than Uganda in so many ways. Antony said it well "(Africa) is all the same, but different". This place is incredibly clean and comfortable. Kigali is beautiful!!

I would not mind at all if one day my path lead me to work in Rwanda.

Today: go around this local area, go to the market, and get pizza!! (YES!Pizza, hopefully!)
Tomorrow: Do Kigali properly. Genocide Museum, churches, do some shopping/eating and looking around the city. :)
Saturday: Early morning return to Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment