Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A month away from Normal


Life is back to Normal.  And I am grateful for that.  The last month has held unexpected adventures, challenges, joys, pains, insights and people.  I have been physically healthier, due to the change in diet.  I am still trying to figure out the balance I need.  I’ve been especially tired recently, but I am working on that with sleep and exercise.  It is hard to learn to take care of yourself properly in a new place.  I am still losing weight.

About a month ago the Irish team came for 2 weeks.  They were two people who were here to run a specific course.  It was at times challenging and other times very good to work with them.  I wasn’t feeling very well at the end of the course and had to get a malaria test.  I finally met someone I have been in touch with for a while, and then a week later found myself in Kigali with a place to stay because of his connections.

I went to Kampala for a week, after the Irish people were here.  It was a good week.  Lots of wonderful friends, a great wedding, and some frustrating immigration issues.   And of course, I got to eat hummus and watch Toy Story 3.  It’s the small things in life that will keep you sane!  I was blessed to have a ride (in a car) to and from Kampala!  Though on the way home there was some GI distress.

Over the last month my garden has taken off.  Just yesterday I gave away about 10 cucumbers and ate one myself.  They are delicious.  The carrots and tomatoes aren’t doing as well, but the cucumbers rock.  I came home for 2 days between Kampala and Kigali and during that time took care of my garden which was growing a bit wild.

Kigali (and all of Rwanda) was incredible.  I am so grateful for the amazing time I spent there.  I met wonderful people, saw a beautiful country, visited the city, and saw the country side.  Rwanda is incredibly developed.  Some people call it a police state.  But people are genuinely happy with the government.  Why shouldn’t they be?  There is no corruption, cleanliness, roads that are perfect, and it is safe for a woman to go out at night!!  I want to move there…  people are listened to and if there is any issue it is taken care of.  Now how it is taken care of, I don’t know.  I think I will research Rwanda more.  I'll be going there whenever I need rest/ vacation/ time away.

I went to the Genocide Memorial.  And yes, I cried.  It was horrific.  Not as bad as Aushwitz, but still pretty terrible.  I think the part which was the worst for me was how incredibly recent this atrocity was, and the power of the mob mentality. 

Why do I love Kigali so much?  I bought a rain coat (unable to find in Uganda), I ate incredible pizza with feta cheese, and I had PEANUT BUTTER Ice cream!!  I mean, is this place even Africa??  Oh, and all for a total of less than 20 USD!  In Rwanda, instead of OVER charging you for things, they UNDER charge you!!!!  This miracle happened 4 times for me.  Amazing.  (and they are actually friendly to white people... incredible!)

The border crossing on the way home went fine, miraculously.  I got my 3 month extension which is what I needed!  Hooray! 

So now, back to normal.  It has been a long time since things were normal and I am grateful for the quietness again.  A friend from Masaka is teaching this week, and I’ve already had the chance to chat with him.  He’s a great guy and I hope to work more with him. One of my best friends in very ill, so I've been visiting her at least 2 times a day with flowers and movies. 

We are covering life passion and vision this week.  Good, and needed, stuff. 

1 comment: