Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Christmas Story begins

Instead of going into things I miss about American normal Christmas, I decided I would narrate the excitement of a new Christmas experience.

I am getting in the Christmas spirit, slowly, as I realize it really is the end of December, even though my body still thinks it is August. The weather is always perfect. Yesterday it was a bit cold actually... which was strange.

We ended classes on Wednesday and had Thursday off, which was fantastic. I made some Christmas cards and worked on my very meager and small gifts for a few people.

Sr. Linda, a 60 something Californian nun who is serving here, and I were trying to figure out the schedule for today... but failed. So I went to breakfast in the dinning today and listened to work duties. I wasn't assigned anywhere (of course... sigh) So I decided to help out in the Church. Before I went over I sang a few Christmas carols with my guitar, just enjoying the season. I like that they don't decorate till Christmas Eve, just like my family at home.

When I arrived, it was just me and 3 Tanzanian DTS students. We started WORKING. In 1.5 hours we cleaned the church top to bottom, sweeping, scrubbing, washing everything. It was hard work! Then Moses, the decorator man, came and taught all of use to make cool ribbon flowers. It was a great learning experience and the guys jumped right in! I was impressed. We made a ton of them!

Then we began with the cloth. They use huge pieces of draped cloth to decorate any room for a celebration. It took a long time, and by lunch we weren't even 1/2 way done and I was exhausted. I went to eat and found the house priest's house alive with activity... they were decorating too!

They even had put up the most charley brownish Christmas tree I've seen since a tiny scrawny tree I had in my bed room when I was 12! It was fake, with 2 ball ordiments on it and a string of lights that didn't work. Sad. I made a bow to the top, and a few small ones for the body. It was fun to get caught up in the decorating with a few Africans, an American, and an Italian!

Sr. Linda and I talk a lot together. We ended up talking a while after lunch, then I was tired and had some work to do. I came home and restfully did my work. When I returned to the church they had finished! It really looks beautiful!

I got some christmas cards in the mail, which was fantastic! One was from my Best Friend, including an awesome cartoonish drawing which always makes me happy!

I spent the afternoon in the chapel and doing some work. There was a lot of confusion in the later afternoon about whether or not there was Christmas Eve mass. In the end I had bathed and prepped, then was told mass was happening right then. I rushed to finish getting ready.

I walked across the lawn to the church at the other end. As I approached the church there was a large group of DTS male students waiting outside the church. All of them started saying "Oh my gosh you are so smart" "Wow, where have you been hiding these things??" One of them gave me a hug... another grabbed my hand (totally normal) and started saying how incredible nice I look. I was a bit floored. I think it's because I was wearing a skirt that actually shows I have legs! They all commented. Later on another one greeted me and said "I didn't even think it was you when you walked up to us earlier. You are so beautiful"... honestly I didn't do anything that differently. A few people echoed the thoughts. It was a strange experience.

Apparently contacts, a shorter than normal skirt (still below knees) a nice fun flowery hair piece, and huge silver earrings does the trick! No make up even. Who knew?

We didn't have mass. It was a total miss understanding. So I finished my hair. Then it was time to hang out and wait for dinner. We feasted on goat and millet... and some veggies. That's at least what I had. I ate so much millet! It's great stuff. I sat next to John Ta and had a really fun time talking with him about Christmas.

Then we had gift exchange. Everyone has pieces someone in both the DTS and Community so it was like a secret santa. It was fun. Some of the gifts were perfect, some pretty terrible. I got a camel colored skirt which almost fits me. I'll wear it a few times so the person isn't hurt. :)

After dinner and gifts it was only 9. I was going into my house and Sr. Linda was walking behind me. She asked if she could see my house. So I gave her a grand tour. (haha) We agreed to meet at the priest's house and play some games (she brought a bunch of american games!)

3 games of Yahteez and a game of Cribbage, and a TON of talking later... we ended up eating crackers with nutella at 1 am!! I love life sometimes. How would have thought I would be doing these funny things with an older nun on Christmas morning!!

It was really fun! Now it's 2 am. I'm not very tired, but should probably sleep.

And TODAY is Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment