Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Out of Africa

How many blog posts have been titled "Out of Africa"... thousands I would bet.  :)

I am sitting here, listening to Phil Collins, wearing a freshly (badly) pressed white shirt.  I have a weakness for Phil Collins, he's pretty much the only 80's musician whom I consistently love.  I don't know why.  I am still terrible at ironing, after months of it.  Oh well. 

I am going soon.  I will leave my house in about an hour an a half, to get into town.  Esther and I are taking pictures together right before getting in the car to go to the airport.  I am flying Ethiopian, which I have never done before.  Getting my first sights of the country of Ethiopia will be awesome.  Sadly it won't count as a country visit, because I am not staying over night.  Maybe that will happen in September, I hope!

The flight today/tomorrow is Entebbe-Addis - Rome- Washington- Detroit.  Woot.  29 hours of travelling.  Africa is really far away from the world!  How exciting... 4 countries in 24 hours!!

Yesterday was an adventure.  I got up and went to church.  Then I came home and felt really strange, and crashed.  I slept for 2 hours, then did NOTHING because I felt so strange.  I had a fever pretty bad.  I was getting worried because I hate travelling sick, and I was afraid that it's malaria.  This morning I am feeling better, though still not great/100%.  I am well enough to travel, and I don't think I need to start malaria meds.  This is a very good thing.

Last night the power cut at about 8, plunging us into total darkness.  I was trying to finish up odds and ends, and that is a frustrating thing to do by solar powered lamp.

So Esther and I went out.  I wanted to introduce her to Hummus and falafels.  So we went and got them... sadly the hummus was not nearly as good as it usually is, so Esther didn't like it.  Oh well.  I bought meds too.

She was feeling in a fun mood, and, even with a fever, I was up for an adventure.  Because she knows the area so well, she could tell that power was still gone.  So we went to Nakumatt, I waited in the car while she ran in, coming back with a tube of ice cream and two spoons.  :)

We went up our hill, yes we live on one of the hills of Kampala (posh)!   We found a great viewing point of the city and sat and ate ice cream... then had a mini dance party.  Just as we drove down the hill, we saw power coming back to the area.  Perfect.  It was a great last housemate night.

When we got home I gave her a bunch of little gifts as a funny way to get her through the next few months. Then we both tore apart my room trying to find some money which I had hid, which we found ... eventually.  You always have to have one heart attack the night before travelling!

And now there isn't much left to do or say. 

It looks like rain today. 

My bag would be incredibly small if I wasn't bringing gifts.  I feel like Santa!

No comments:

Post a Comment