Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Namagongo: Short trip

Today I took a short trip to Namagongo.

This coming Friday, June 3rd, is the celebration of Uganda Martyrs day.  It's a public holiday in the country, and a massive celebration for all Christians.  The Catholics get especailly into it. 

The Uganda Martyrs have a beautiful story of not forsaking your faith, even in the face of death.  The peace and love they showed to the very end is inspiring.

I had never been to Namagongo, the site of where the Martyers were killed.  I considered going on June 3rd, when HUGE crowds decend on the place.  But then I also needed to meet with Deo about work projects.  He happened to already be there... having done an 11 day walk from Kabale (which is crazy far from Kampala).  Ugandas are intense sometimes.

So I decided that since I'd never been it'd be nice to see the place and also have a work meeting with Deo.

On the way, I realized that my fear of venturing out has drastically decreased.  Going new places use to stress me a lot because I was afraid of getting lost or overwhelmed.  These days, I get directions and find it to be no problem.  I think I'm finally getting use to it all.

The trip was very short from my home to Namagongo, which was nice.  We passed some pilgrams on the way, carrying their belongings on their heads and babies on their backs.  They could have walked from any corner of the country to celebrate on the site.  On arrival there was mass, which had already started, so I did a bit of work in some deep shade until mass finished.  Then Deo and I sat on my Kitenga over looking a large pool where many pilgrams were fetching water for their makeshift camps.  We got all of our work done, and it looks like we're in a good place on the Kabale Coffee Project proposal. 

The Large pool
 After our meeting, I wanted to tour the place a bit and take some time reflecting on the Martyrs.  However, as Deo and I finished talking, he informed me that the president was there!  I hadn't noticed any big to do, but apparently it had happened and the president was indeed in the church.  I would have stayed and waited until he left, but very large and looming black clouds had begun to gather in the north, spitting their warnings on us as we sat under the large trees.  So I went and visited the outdoor Grotto and then sadly stood and looked at the church, very bummed that getting inside was not possible due to the desire of the president to keep face.  Then I managed to quickly find a taxi that easily took me all the way to the stage near my house.  It was great.   
The Bascilica Church
I am very ready to head home to America.  My schedule is quickly filling, which is exciting!  I can't wait to see all my favorite people.  There are things about Uganda I will miss, but I'll be back very soon.  For now, America is in my eyes and I'm ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment