Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Random Happenings


I have rounded up cows 3 days in a row.  Sunday, out of the banana plantation.  Monday, out of the main road outside the community.  Tuesday out of the round house yard.  I feel like a true farm girl.  Cows are funny creatures.  Here the local cows have huge horns.  But the ones I was herding are mostly your standard black and whites.
Today at mass, I almost burst out laughing hysterically.  They use electric keyboards for music.  When we go up for communion, they turn on a pre recorded song so that the person doesn’t have to play for a few moments.  Today they turned on the pre recorded music and it as “Can’t help falling in love with you” and “Beauty and the Beast”.  Of course NO ONE else in the church knows either of these songs, but I almost exploded I was laughing so hard inside. 
The other day the light which is right at the front of the church wasn’t working right.  It would flash off and on.  So the drums were going and we were singing some upbeat song, and the light was flashing away… it looked like a club/disco or something!  Sometimes there are things that no one else finds funny.  But I am dying of laugher inside!!
Tonight I did something super random.  I gave John Bahati, one of the students (one of my favorite students), colored pencils.  I noticed earlier that he was drawing in his note book, and it was actually quite good.  So later I spoke with him about art.  I want to encourage him to do more art.  So tonight I gave him my little colored pencils.  Before I gave them to him I told him that he was going to laugh at me… he tried not to, but in the end did laugh.  I am excited to see what he creates.
Everyone is sick.  The whole community has “cough and flu” … which means a bad cold.  I was out for 2 days with it, but am feeling a little better now.  I am not pushing myself but talking it slow.  A lot of people are down with malaria or strange unexplainable sickness.  It happens a lot here.  One of my “daughters”… the girls I am in charge of… has a bad fever.  We think it might be malaria, but aren’t sure. 
In other news, the compound got to meet my mother today!  I have internet that is a modem that plugs into my computer and registers with a cell phone net work.  So I am totally mobile.  I took my computer all over the compound.  The lighting wasn’t great, but my mom got to MEET a whole bunch of my friends and see my house.  :D  It was a very good time.  People around here had no idea what to make of this crazy technology.  Most of them would never have seen anything like it! 
So that's a little bit of life this side!

No comments:

Post a Comment