Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Torit, Southern Sudan...Juba... to Kampala

Torit is the capital of Eastern Equatorial Sudan.  We had a bit of a tough ride back to Torit, but made it back eventually.

It was nice to have our feet more firmly on the ground.  I was in Torit for a bit less than a week... which was the longest I'd been any where for 3 weeks.  Our room was dirty and that actually really got on my nerves.  It was some one those last straw moments when I went crazy at the ants.  But those moments pass and I just did my best to live with the bed bugs, dirty sheets and very dirty floors and walls. 

Torit was a good time.  We spent a lot of time with the youth group.  The girls are wonderful and we became fast friends.  During our walk through the market I saw 2 people I know!  In Southern Sudan!!!  First, Hielda whos room I had stayed in in Isohe.  Then Helen, who had been a student at the training course I'd run at Emmaus in Uganda the year before!!  Crazy...  I love my life!

In Torit I got to get the feel of normal life.  We became regulars at several shops, and got the feel for how to find what you need.  My most victorious moment was getting the needle and thread I needed!  :)   Fr. Herald is working on a beautiful house called Mercy house... it was suppose to be done a long time ago, but still isn't.  But when it is done, it will be wonderful! It was very cool to see the work being done there and also to learn about the challenges.

Our programs provided spaces for people to pray individual as well as some larger group talks and songs.  It was REALLY hot.  We were tired.  But we really pushed through with the help of grace.   It was beautiful to pray with the African women in the chapel, to see them bringing their cares to Jesus.  Those times were very rich for me too.

When we were handing out fliers I got the chance to get to chat with Maynor in our awesome Spanglish.  We had a good chat about African issues, it was nice to be able to talk about these things I study.  And to be here at the same time!

We befriended a street child named Joshua who had a badly injured head.  When  I saw it I could not let the flies continue sit in it.  I don't DO medical, gross things... but Love overcomes.  This child was desperate.  We became close, but he was sick.  I didn't see him my last day in Torit, and am worried about him.  I got to rock him to sleep one night during a film... it was a deep profound moment of motherhood to the motherless!

On Monday we visited the broken down cathedral.  It was so sad... it had been destroyed by the war, blown up purposefully.  A house of worship.  The drawings on the wall were not normal grafitti but images of war, people crying out for salvation from their oppressors, depicted in crude black lines on white cracked walls.  We also went to the river, which was a beautiful and peaceful place!

On Tuesday we sent off all the guys who were there to be on the team.  Before sending them off we met the African Inland Mission people who live in Torit.  I was so inspired by them.  They just live their lives and help their church and those doing various work around Southern Sudan.  They do a lot of development ministry.  They were so hospitable!  It was great time. 

Tuesday night it was just Fr. Herald, Carole, Maynor and I... we went out for dinner.  We had the most amazing chicken!!!  Sooo good.  So cheap!  It was a nice time to relax.  Father Herald and I got a nice chance to chat before bed.  We didn't see much of each other over the whole team.

Wednesday morning we were up at 4:45... the stars are AMAZING at 4:45 am!!   We had mass and then loaded to head to Juba.  It was a LONG, and VERY bumpy road!!!  This was the "Highway" to the capital of the South!  It was not really very pleasant.  Denis, Maynor and I hung out in the back, holding on to anything that was attached to the car!

We arrived in Juba to find a large traffic jam which was due to a separatist march which had accidentally over flowed into the wrong road.   We were in a bit of a hurry... but we got there eventually and run up to the terminal.

I had to say a quick good bye at the door, which was where you were screened.  Juba airport was stressful... i was tired, hungry, hot, and a bit annoyed.  I am so grateful for other ex pats who know the system better than me!  One was very helpful!

I got onto a nice small, air conditioned, toilet that you sit on, fruit and drinks served, hour long flight to uganda.  The stress of Juba floated away as I flew over the beautiful southern sudan and into Uganda.  I arrived and found Susanna just fine at the airport.  Riding in a nice air conditioned car through comfortable (compared to Sudan) roads and city was strange.

I like Kampala... more about Kampala tomorrow!  I'm off to dinner (yes, it is 10 pm and we are just now eating... that is how it works here)..then sleeeep.

Travel day tomorrow and Thursday.  I hope that I can be useful on these adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment