Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Friday, June 25, 2010

5 dollar market day; finding my family and my place

I am learning to live life here at Emmaus.  The pattern of life is different from anything that I have ever experienced.  But I am slowly learning.

Today got started slowly. 

Mass is always at 7, I usually get up at 6:30. 
Then Breakfast at 8... I take it with some wonderful friends who stay in the compound.  It is always a time of enjoyment, even though they are often in and out doing different things.  I never know what.

Today I went to the market with Francis, the husband of Evyling who has a miscarriage the other day.  Their room is the place I go for breakfast... but there is always a crowd there.   I bought 2 pineapples and a scarf for the evening times.  It totalled 5 USD.  2 pineapples and a very nice shall.  5 dollars.  This is Africa.

(Kampala is more expensive, more equally priced to US things because Uganda is land locked things have to be imported)  

I will share the pineapples with my friend Agnes and the people who live near her... I will be eating with them over the weekend.  (I might become a pineapple... they are SOO good, and in season!!  I could eat a whole one myself!)


The market was wonderful.  It was so much more a live than the market in Sudan.  There were a lot of people selling things and just A LOT for sale.  Much fruit and veg.

I returned from the market and helped with dishes in the kitchen, as usual.  I then went and worked with my dear friend Eufrasia, who has just returned to Emmaus after visiting her sick mother.  We worked together for a long while on the upcoming University leaders training course.  The western team is not able to come this year, so we put our heads together to come up with a way to get this course to happen without them.  It was great brain storming time.  Also, we began to discuss retreats for some of the Cornerstone students.  We hopefully will be able to meet with a Cornerstone teacher next weekend to get the momentum these retreats rolling before I leave. 

I am finding my place.  Where ever I am needed.  I will be giving Eufrasia computer lessons for 1-2 hours a day next week.  She really needs to learn to use a computer, and I have the time!  So I will teach her some basic skills, especially so she can communicate via email. 

I now have a rotation of families I am visiting with for meal times.  This is a great way to get to know people. The couple I had lunch with today have no children of their own, but have adopted 10!!  They have a farm and do various ministry related work and are beautiful people.  The husband, William, has a vision for possibly starting a juice factory so that the fruit doesn't go to waste in season.  Right now it is feast or famine here.

Life is good here in Africa.  I am continuing to try to figure out where I fit, and where I am suppose to be and go.  My health is doing ok, but is not 100%.  I don't know what is bugging me, but I am trying to get enough rest and be wise in what I eat. 

It looks like I will be in Tanzania for a week at the end of August!!  :)  A 4th Country!  HOORAY!   I will be working with a priest there who has a lot of beauitful work.  I will be with HIV AIDs patience and children of prisoners.  It will be a good time... but that is a while from now! 

Once again, thanks for reading!  Sorry no photos right now... I will try to put up a few next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment