Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, July 6, 2009

A very long, but now completed journey

Once in a blue moon I wonder if I am getting a little old to be bouncing all over the place, traveling from place to place. These thoughts really only hit when I am about 20 hours into a trip, I haven't slept, and am realizing that things aren't going as planned. I had a couple of those thoughts yesterday.

Yet they all have disappeared now and I am 100% sure that travel is in fact something I love and am suppose to do. This is, of course, now that I am over jet lag.

My trip started at 5:40 am,July 4th 2009… when Jaci and I got up. I packed up the last of my bags and ran around the house... forgetting to do about 10 things. We made it out of the parking lot at 6:44... and got to the TINY Grand Rapids train station. We were able to sit for a while and take in the beautiful morning before I got on the train and rode to Chicago. It was a pleasant train ride.

In Chicago I managed to find my way to the subway station, get my ticket, and get on the subway. At Ohare everything went well... I had about an hour wait before the luggage check opened. Everything went perfectly through security all the way through the trip... didn't get stopped once. I made a friend who was going to Dublin, we chatted about what to do and see there. Before getting on the flight we met two other woman, one from England the other also from America. The two other Americans had never left the country, so the English woman and I gave them lots of thoughts and ideas. It was fun! I love people...

I didn't have a seat mate on the flight. I managed to sleep for max 2 hours. But that was ok... I survived. I was on the night side of the plane (during the summer when you fly to these islands the sun doesn't set on one side of the plane... it's always light) But on my side it was dark and the moon was bright. I checked on the moon from time to time and got to watch it set in a blaze of orange moonish glory. It was beautiful.

The lack of sleep was rough, but really only made the trip tough at one or two points. Shannon was one of those points. The plane stopped at a small town called Shannon in Ireland. Most of the plane actually got off this time (that doesn't usually happen). But it was an hour until we were underway to Dublin... a very long and boring hour. It's hard to read or do anything productive when you've been awake all night and are being told that it is 5:45 am.

But we made it to Dublin in a very timely manner. ALL of my flights were early/ right on time! That is a blessing. In Dublin the immigration officer looked at me sideways as they always do. I promised I wasn't even going to leave the airport. Just let me go to London. He was nice enough. It was fun being in Dublin, it was hard to leave though. Looking at the hills which I saw every day for 1.5 years did my heart a lot of good. I wondered why I hadn't been back sooner! I was very grateful that I knew I would be returning for sure this trip.

Made it to London, I actually got a bit of sleep on that plane. My bags were some of the first ones out... another blessing. However, I noticed the top of my backpack had gotten wet.... didn't find out why until later...

Currency exchange then down to the tube (subway/underground)... thankfully I asked someone which train I should take to Acton Town because there were no signs to tell me which direction the trains were headed. He told me that the line wasn't going all the way there and that I had to get off at a different station and take a bus. This worried me slightly, as I didn't know how that would all play out. I, and most of the train, did get off at the other station and there were buses waiting.

Now when Americans think of riding a bus, it's a pretty standard, safe, unexciting thought. Not so here in London (well all of the islands). See... there isn't much space here and the streets were built a very long time ago. The buses go a) really fast and b) are very big... generally two levels. The drivers are really really good at what they do... it is 100 times more exciting to ride a bus here than in Grand Rapids. I enjoyed it a lot.

I made it to Acton Town Station, which is under construction, and didn't see anyone I knew. I'd been given an address "if all else failed" and it appeared to have done so. I took a moment to collect my thoughts and get myself sorted and ordered a taxi. The taxi drive, an immigrant from somewhere who had an incredibly large and jagged scar all the way across the back of his head, was an engaging conversationalist. He asked my thoughts on our last two presidents and then told me how everyone over here feelings about Bush... which I am use to hearing.

He took me to the Turners where I am staying... there was no one home. BUT there was a note on the door. The poor taxi man thought that I was just going to be lost and wandering. I convinced him that I was totally fine, as the note had a "detailed" map on it. He said ok... but that he wasn't liable if anything happened to me. Haha.


On the map, provided to me by Mark Jordon, the Servants of the Word (the brothers) house had been indicated. I made a V line for it... it was the closest house on the map, only a block or so away. I always feel ok about just showing up at any of the SofW houses… I don’t care what country I am in. I was really tired at this point and pretty much just wanted to see someone I knew. I rang the bell and after the 2nd rings Vo came down. What a blessing... he looked at me for a moment and I introduced myself. He did remember the one time we'd met. He gave me a glass of water and let me use the phone to ring Mark.

Mark came over as Vo and I caught up a little. It was soooooooo good to see Mark! We realized later that it had been 2 years since we'd seen each other, though we'd talked. Mark took me to the Women's house, where his fiancé Rachel met us. It was really good to hang out with them. I got my wedding invitation. It was good to be back in a row house.. hmm. I took a bit of a rest, but got to the point that I realized that if I stayed in bed any longer I'd just sleep all day. So I got up. I went to change my clothes and realized why my bag was wet...

My shampoo had opened and emptied into my big back pack. Thankfully not in the big clothing section. That was an adventure. I pouted for 2 seconds to Mark, but then moved on. The trip had gone too smoothly for something like this not to happen. Mark made me laugh, so it was all good as I cleaned shampoo out of my 3 inch heels.

At about 2:30 we went to the men's house to watch the Men's tennis final. It was a blast. Lots of great people, really good tennis... fun and very funny (mostly because of how tired I was and how much I love the British sense of humor.. the pims helped too) times were had by all. It was really good to see various friends and make new ones.

Rachel and I had to leave at 6 (before it was over!) to go to mass... which was really really good. The Perrems were there, so afterwards we got dinner at Subways with them. Then Rachel, Annie and I got a pint at the pub across the street. That was really good times... just to chat it up.

We hurried back to get my stuff before they went to a meeting. I had to go into the guys to get my purse and keys... even though it was Mark's bachelor party...it was fine. I went to return the keys, giving them to Andrew Bull and was about to hurry out of the house when I heard "Is that NG??" I turned around and it was Bob Bell!! I gave him a Huge hug and we made quick plans to see each other while I am here. What a blessing!

Then Dominic was a gentleman and drove me round to the Turners. I had some water and a chat with Mimi, before watching a bit of Who wants to be a millionaire with Mimi (who should go on the show… she knew every question!)... then I was actually very tired and went to bed. I slept really really well and feel really good.

Now I am clean, happy, content and am feeling incredibly blessed.


I am so happy to be back in this culture! Now off to lunch and a walk... perhaps an afternoon cricket game with the Everingtons!

1 comment:

  1. The journey has started! Yeah!

    Way to go to my bro Vo for being the first to welcome Noelle on this trip to London!

    Don't get burned on all the social life in London, you've a big journey ahead!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete