Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Life in Translation: Tanzania Part 1


It’s Wednesday September 12th, I arrived back to Kampala yesterday in the late afternoon.  We had spent 12 days in Tanzania, and I was happy to be home.

The trip was a success.  We trained roughly leaders who were from a variety of different backgrounds.  It was a great time of learning, sharing and growing.  The response from the participants was overwhelmingly positive.

The 10 Principles of Leadership; Shinyanga Tanzania!


Life, in Tanzania, had to be lived through translation. Tanzania is the land of Swahili.  Swahili is the language that is used throughout this vast country, just as English is used in Uganda.  While Tanzania was colonized by the British, the people of Tanzania rejected the white man and everything about him… including his language, during their independence struggle.  Thankfully we travelled with a great Tanzanian guy who speaks perfect Swahili and English.  We would have been totally lost without him!

Tanzania is a beautiful country.  It’s huge.  You can just feel space, it’s like being out west in America, where the land just rolls on.  Instead of plains this is savanna, broken only by the occasional hill.  Throughout the journey to Shinyanga the landscaped changed drastically a number of times.  Mwanza, one of the larger towns in Tanzania, is called the rock city.  It has many strange rock formations, not unlike the Garden of the Gods in Colorado.  Other places have large hills that have massive cliffs which slope down towards the rocky shores of Lake Victoria.  

Our journey was long… I will never again complain about 18 hours to Bujumbora or Arusha… this was 24 hours on a bus (12 hours per day over 2 days), with an overnight in a city called Bukoba which is fairly close to the border with Uganda.  We had countless adventures… but I am sorry to say I am too tired right now to recount any of them. 

For me this trip was a little bit of a “return to Africa”… I had been more stability in Kampala the last few months, and I had been living how I live and thrive in Uganda.  But this trip put me right into the heart of African life, and I was reminded of all it’s joys and pains.  It was a good reminder, but it made me very tired. 

Today I am home, resting and trying to fix my poor beat up body.  I am on malaria medication, which makes me tired and nauseous, so I need to take it easy.  For some reason I am in cleaning/giving things away mood… my house keeper is getting a mini Christmas today.  I have the best house keeper ever… she comes once a week and is probably one of the happiest, most joyful people I’ve met in Africa.  She is super great, so I always try to think of ways to do nice things for her.  Today it was a bunch of random gifts from my closet and telling her she can borrow my children’s books for her son (in sort of a library capacity).  J

No comments:

Post a Comment