Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, September 17, 2012

A productive week, part 2....


Wednesday
Once again, I got up about 8 am.  I finally got out of bed when I heard my housekeeper knocking on the door.  I stumbled out of my room to let her in.  I don’t really do mornings...

We talked for a bit, both about what needed to be done that day, but also about life.  I had some extra time that morning, so I wrote emails and got organized for the day from home.  I usually dress professionally for work, and couldn’t decide which necklace to wear... thankfully Pheona (the housekeeper) was able to give me a good opinion.

I was excited on Wednesday.  While it would be a long day, it was scheduled to end with dinner with a long time friend from Europe!  I was excited to reconnect with someone I consider a mentor.  

I arrived at work right around 10 am, to find Frank ready and waiting for another day of work.  Right away, I sent Joshua (formerly an intern, now a junior staff member) to go and buy us receipt and accounting books.  By 10:20 we were all set up in the fellowship room, and started working.  (We don’t really have an office.  I have a desk I share with 3 people, but Cornerstone Veritas doesn’t have any designated space yet, so we use the fellowship room) 

Wednesday was Cornerstone Veritas finances.  Frank, our new staff member, was specifically brought onto our team to help with facilitating our course and managing our account.  I am not great with finances, and I needed some help to set up a usable system.  We did an overview of our 2012 budget, then all worked together on our projected budget for 2013.  It basically doubles our monthly expenditures!  We are growing really fast... not sure how we are going to pay for that growth.  

Then we did a dream budget.  If we could have any amount of money, how much would we have and what would we do with it.  This was a lot more fun than the boring yearly budget, and we were all laughing by the end of it.  At 12:30 we needed to leave, but it was lightly raining.  We decided to go in spite of getting a bit wet.  So 3 of us jumped on bodas, and went to mass.  It was the Feast of the Assumption.  We were crammed into the balcony with God only knows how many other people, but the mass was nice.  I had asked them to keep some lunch for us, so when we got back to the office we ate together.  

In the mean time our accounting books had arrived, so in the afternoon, Frank and I sat and discussed at lengths the type of system we wanted to set up.  Once we had finally come up with a good option, we went and presented it to David, Cornerstone Development’s financial controller.   He liked the plan.  I then taught Frank how to withdraw cash through our accounting system and we did our first voucher and put it into our new book.  I’m looking forward to seeing this successfully continue!  

Finally, about 4:30 we finished.  I sent Carol and Frank home, and stayed at the office to work on a few things.  Then I went to Nakumatt, a large department store, to buy light bulbs.  Can I comment that buying light bulbs is really stressful.  The last time I was there, there were no 40 watt bulbs that fit my fixture.  So I got a 60 watt, and it works.  But this time, there were only 40 watts!  Ugh!  So I bought 2 light bulbs, and when I later tried them at home only one of them worked.  And I almost broke the light fixture trying to get it in. Sigh.  Thankfully they are cheap.  I also bought a 10th anniversary gift for 2 good friends in Cornerstone.

After light bulb shopping, I got a boda over to where I was meeting Martin.  I was an hour early, but that was planned.  There is a beautiful little coffee shop that I love in the same complex as the restaurant we were eating at.  I ordered a soda, and did some emailing and worked on a variety of things.  At 7 pm, I headed over to the restaurant and had a lovely (and super delicious) dinner with him.  We talked all about different dynamics in Africa and it was a lovely evening.

I live all the way across town from where we ate, and I took a boda home (I was using my helmet).  The driver, to avoid traffic, took me through a back part of town.  I know the area, but it was pretty deserted.  In a particularly dark, deserted stretch, the bike starts having trouble.  All my senses went on high alert.   

It was 9 pm, and it is dark by 7 pm here... in a dodgy part of town.  There was a bike repair shop that “just happened” to be right near where we broke down.  About 7 large, somewhat dubious men were outlined by the light coming from there shop.  I jumped off the bike and was ready to run at the drop of a hat.  The driver said that the clutch wasn’t working.  Another guy started a bike and came over.  After a slightly confusing negotiation I got on the other bike and left... very thankful to be safe. 

I got home, talked to the roommate a bit, watched some West Wing, and slept. 

Thursday
We didn’t have a work day planned for Thursday, and I had to organize some accommodation for the European team which was coming in.  I woke up and wasn’t feeling well.  Somehow I managed to get out of the house by about 9:45.  I jumped a taxi and boda to the first guest house on my list.  Upon reaching, I found it was booked for Sunday night.  The man directed me to a guest house which doesn’t advertise that was just around the corner.  I went, and the place was great.  I got all the info, and told the woman I’d get back to her.

Then I got another boda into town, to check out yet another hotel.  I got all the info, then put in a call to the UK.  I bought airtime on the way home and called Phil when I reached my apartment.  We talked for a while, getting things settled and arranged.  He asked me to do some other work for him, and I agreed.  I often work from home 1-2 days a week, and Thursday was a home work day.

I called taxi drivers, finalized with accommodation people, and organized some other things.  I then did a variety of other work throughout the day, and rested a bit because I was a bit tired. That evening I had invited a missionary couple over for dinner.  They work with AIM, African Inland Mission.  We originally met in Sudan, some years ago, and Linda, the wife in the couple and I have met several other times.  We had seen each other at a play the weekend before, and I’d invited them for dinner.

So about 4:30, I went shopping at the local fruit and veg stands for a variety of veggies and fruits to use in my dinner.  I rarely eat/cook meat.  It’s expensive.  And it’s not easy to find good meat.  Veggies are so cheap and good!  I found green beans, which made me happy because it meant I could make my Chinese noodle dish.  So I chopped, cooked and made jello.  We had a simple dinner... basically stir fry with lots of soy sauce cooked with spaghetti noodles.  Then we had jello and fruit salad for dessert.  The conversation was lovely, they got me talking passionately about what I do!  We had a great discourse on several issues, and it was nice time. 

After they left, I did dishes.  My housemate had left for Gulu for a week that morning, so the house was quiet.  I was online later, and connected with a friend who is in the army in Afganistan.  He and I had been meaning to skype , and we both had time.  We skyped until 1:30 am (my time)!  He is interested in going into International Development work, so I was giving him some perspectives and thoughts on the field.  Needless to say I went right to bed.  

one more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment