Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tanzania: 100 dollar sun set

I decided to go to Tanzania on Wednesday.

So I made my arrangements, paid for my tent, and took a taxi to the bus stage.

Right as we pulled away from the bus stage, the conductor tells us it costs Americans 100USD to get into Tanzania.  Myself, and the 2 other americans on the bus had a bit of a freak.  I don't generally carry that much money on me!

So we got to the Kenya side, found out it is indeed 100 USD, and ONLY USD will be accepted!  I had a small cash of Ugandan shillings, which were my savings to start my life in Uganda... those were converted as well as ALL my Kenyan shillings.  I almost didn't have enough.  It was stressful. 

It is hard to explain just how FAR 100 USD goes here.  My stay in the tent cost half that... in Nairobi!  I haven't spend 100 dollars in ages!  That is the yearly income of many citizens of this country. 

The ride through the desert at sunset was beautiful and frightening.  The driver went quickly on sand covered roads.  But in the twilight of the sinking sun, I saw the unmistakabel outline of a giraffe, fairly close to the road!  :D  Yes, a 100 dollar giraffe.

Today I went exploring, and to get some money and food.  I am sad because Bahati isn't able to come... the accomidation and food is too expensive.  :(  But I will leave TZ a bit early so that I can have a few days with her in the west.

Apparently I have orientation tomorrow and start working monday... I really hope!

1 comment:

  1. May the Lord Give you his peace!

    I will keep more in my prayers, happy feast of saint Bernard du Claravoux Bro Diego CFR

    ReplyDelete