Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

swollen feet, moving tents, and hummus

It is winter in Kenya. We are right on the equator, so that doesn't really matter. However, Nairobi is HIGH so that means is it very cold. So today I put on my tennis shoes for the first time this WHOLE trip. And I walked a lot today. I like walking. It saves money, gives exercise and lets me get a feel for the city. But my feet hurt now. I noticed within the first few days here that me feet were swelling because my chacos were tight. So I fixed the straps and they were fine. But my shoes are really tight on my feet... they are STILL swollen... 3 months after coming to Africa. My goodness. Oh well.

Today I went back to my back packers place after being in Kibera to find my tent gone. They had moved it to another spot but it was a funny moment to come home and see a big empty space instead of your nice tent on a pallet. My tent is comfortable, though my mosquito net is a bit big for the small space!

I am going to do self catered meals most of the time now to save money. Or Kibera meals (which are insanely cheap and really gooood... chapate... hmmmmm) So I went shopping in a market today and at a grocery store. They have hummus at the grocery store!! It is about the same price as in the states... a little more maybe. But I think I am going to get some. Hummus and bread, avocado and banana for dinner. Home made peanut butter (I got for 50 sh, which is about 75 cents) banana and bread for breakfast... chapate for lunch. Yes. That is living cheap, in a tent. And it tastes good too.

I met some nice Mexican girls at the office today. It was nice to hear about what they are doing here and to see the vocational center that is run near by. A distressed client came into the office today, it was good to see how the Human Rights office works to assist people with problems.

I didn't go back to the office after lunch because my matatu broke down and I would have been late for the class I was going to go sit in on. I wasn't really needed and I would been a big disruption for the class if I had come in late. So I am just trying to get some things settled and together before the weekend.

Tomorrow I will take the day to see a bit of Nairobi. Then the weekend (and monday) will hopefully with be an America NGO, Carolina for Kibera. They do sports camps and leadership work with kids in Kibera. Then Tuesday back to the office. They promised to have so much work for me I'd cry... haha... I said "please! I want to cry!" The people at the office are great fun. :)

Nairobi isn't too hard to get around... you just have to get use to getting onto moving buses!

No comments:

Post a Comment