Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Reflections on Intangible

Words are a hard thing, trying to craft a picture, an understanding, a concept.

It's even harder when the thing you are trying to explain can't be held, or touched, or even seen. My work in Africa, and the work of many people I serve with there, is intangible.


It'd be so much easier to connect people to "stuff"; Give me these things and it'll all be great.  But that's not how this works, that's not how I work. I don't think stuff matters, I know people do.


People






 People: Their stories, their experiences, their choices, their dignity... this is what deeply matters to me.









 Working with them, to form long term, transformational partnerships.






 

Loving people, so they know what family feels like. 
   

Equipping people, to be the best they can be.









 Laughing with people, so that, even for a moment, everything is beautiful. 










Serving people, so that they go and change their world. 










Singing, dancing, laughing, eating, learning, celebrating, crying, playing, sharing... it's hard to do those things from 15,000 miles away.

Present.  

It's intangible.  But I am going to Africa to be present with my people.  As we say at Cornerstone Development: "Who we are is primary, what we do is secondary" 

Somethings this feels impossible to explain, maybe you have to experience it.

It's intangible.  It's not a snap shot or success story.  It's a long, hard, dusty road.  It's not a moment of glory, it many thousands of foot steps forward.  It's not change in a day, it's transformation over a decade.  It's not a quick fix, it's creating life long family.

It's their faces, their comments, the possibility that I see and hear in each one of them... that's why, it's my reason and my rhyme.  It's intangible. 

"You're already home when you feel loved"

No comments:

Post a Comment