Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Here we go... again!

Looking back over 5 years of experience in Africa, it's wonderful to be headed back there on Monday morning!


It was almost 5 years ago, a particularly hot and humid day in late June.  I was in Ann Arbor, maybe for a wedding, and was staying in a friend's attic. When I got back there after a day out, all of my communication devices had "exploded"... 10 messages on Skype, a load of voice mails and texts, and a number of "please call me" emails... When I finally got a hold of my friend Mark, there was just one questions: "Do you want to go to Uganda with us, we leave in less than 3 weeks".

2 weeks later, on the 4th of July, I was on a plane to London. In that time I had graduated from college, gotten a hard to come by vaccination, moved across the state, and raised $800.  I spent a week in London, connecting with the team and preparing.  Then we went, then we flew... over the Sahara, my heart in my throat, and into the arms of Euphrasia at the airport.

It's been almost 5 years since that fateful June day.  Over half of that time I've spent in Eastern Africa, with people I met during those first 10 days.  On Monday, May 19th 2014, I return... to 40 shades of green, a beautiful yet hard existence, a place where hope and despair are best friends, and the sun just don't stop shinning.

I return to a work I believe in more deeply that I can fully express.  The chance to visit my friends, my coworkers in transformation, will be glorious.  To sit and dream, and share, and cry together.  To talk about what has been lost, and gained, what has grown and what has died, where we've been and where we are going.  To hear from each other how our lives are transforming, and how we each are becoming more ourselves.

And not just us.  To this day, the question on our lips for all 5 long and beautiful years, is how to do we invite others into this?  Through teaching, and training, through inviting people into a family, through mentoring and conversation, through laughter and fun, honesty and realism, we invite, we create.

Since Cornerstone Veritas was born, in August of 2011, we've grown a little.  We began with a friend, an idea, and some stuff we'd been asked to do. There were 3 of us who were on board, we had no idea what we were doing.  So I started writing.

Today, in May 2014, we have 2 full time staff, 3 junior staff members, 2 former staff, 11 alumni of our internship program, 6 current interns, and a whole TON of friends who are committed to our work.  Cornerstone Veritas has trained over 800 people in the 10 Principles of Leadership, and worked with over 20 different organizations throughout Eastern Africa.

And it just keeps getting better.  As of the end of 2013, the Cornerstone Veritas internship program has been expanded and empowered into a new, large scale, high school outreach... which was actually the original vision for Cornerstone Veritas work.  There are over 10 highschools across the region that are being trained in leadership and character development programs, through the leadership of CV's Edmond Elasu.  Thousands of young people are being reached with transformational tools and knowledge which will help them develop with vision and passion, justice and equality.  And our team is at the heart of it all!

And so, 5 years after it all began, after the first seeds were planted, and my heart was officially stolen by red earth and black hands, I return.

I return to do what I did in 2010:  Love, Serve, Encourage and Learn.  Those words do not grown old.  They are as true today as when I first chose them.  Though we have come far since then, and much as changed, I still want to give in this meaningful way. With open hands, an open heart, with love to give.

For this trip, I would add one more word.  And that word is Celebrate!  I am traveling around the world to celebrate the work being done, the people involved, the unity built and the passion that is shared.

I hope you know you are a huge part of this.  Each of you have played a role in this story, let's keep writing... together.

Follow: HERE! and on facebook at "Noelle in Africa"
Donate:  Through the "donate" button on the right, you can donate any time... money can be reimbursed retroactively!
And if you are a person of prayer, please pray for safety, peace and wisdom in all that I do!

Let us go forth, for we were made for such a time as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment