Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Beautiful Tapesty



How a short term visit to Uganda in 2009 turned into long term relationships

In the summer of 2009, with less than 3 weeks notice, I found myself in Uganda.  I traveled with a team of friends from London to Luwero, Uganda to help run a University student training course.  I had experience doing student mentorship on university campuses, and so was invited to join the team when one of their team members was unable to go at the last minute.  

It was my first time to Africa, and I was more excited than words.  I had been studying sub Saharan Africa for 2 years at school and had just finished my degree in International Relations with an emphasis in Africa studies.  I had been interested in working in Africa for much longer than my time of studies.  This was the opportunity of a life time.

Team Photo; July 2009
 We were in Uganda for 10 days total, the training was 5 days long.  It was held at Emmaus Centre in Luwero, a Christian retreat center about an hour north of Kampala.  We were joined on our team by a number of Ugandans, and worked harmoniously together to empower the young university students to better be able to run various campus groups.

Little did I know that the people I met and relationships I was forming would later turn into 3 years in Uganda, partnering with Emmaus Center, and 2 years working with Cornerstone Development!  I think that these stories are worth telling…  

Emmaus 2009, Alfred singing a song that encourages him.
Alfred:  One of the people who joined our team at Emmaus that week was a man named Alfred Edakasi.  Dynamic, charming, well spoken, and funny, Alfred shared with the participants aspects of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  I had never heard them presented the way he did.  When we had a chance to talk over lunch one day, he outlined the work of Cornerstone Development for me.  I was fascinated, and wanted to learn more. 


Alfred, sitting next to me at my farewell lunch this past Friday
Fast forward 4 years, Alfred has been my “boss” (oversight might be a better word) for 2 years!  I am his daughter’s God mother and incredibly close with his whole amazing family.  Alfred has been a constant encouragement and support.  While I was living in Mbarara, he used to call and text me to make sure I was ok, and getting the medical care I needed when I was sick.  Insightful, supportive and wise, Alfred has suggested many of the things we have implemented in Cornerstone Veritas, which have had great success, including our internship program!  

Me and Martha at her baptism







Who knew that a lunch and a few days at Emmaus in 2009 would turn into a lifelong friendship! 











Frank:  In late July, 2011, Cornerstone Veritas ran the 10 Principles of Leadership in Kampala.  A close friend of mine, Fr. Henry, told me he wanted his brother to attend.  When his brother didn’t come the first day, I informed Henry that he hadn’t come.  Apparently, Henry put some heat under his brother, and Frank came the next day.  He participated actively in the course, and found the material to be life changing.  At the end of the course, we invited him to join our team back at my apartment for dinner.  He fit so well with us!

A very young Frank, 2009 Emmaus Center
It was at that point that Frank told me that he had met me before that week.  I was deeply confused.  When? I asked.  He told me that in his break after high school he had attended the university student’s course at Emmaus, in 2009!  I was so surprised and excited.  He said it had been a very positive experience.

Frank's funny CV staff photo
Several weeks later, we interviewed Frank for the part time Male staff position with Cornerstone Veritas, and hired him!  Just this past weekend, he shared with the Cornerstone Veritas team the whole story of his involvement with Cornerstone Veritas.  He shared some incredible things…  “Noelle was there to encourage me and inspire me at the start of university to make positive life choices.  Just as I finished school, and was starting to move away from the right path, Noelle came back into my life!  Being part of the Cornerstone Veritas team has been priceless and life changing.  I wasn’t so good at relating with people before joining CV, but now I feel I am part of a family and am confident in building relationships with others.  I am so proud to have been part of a work that is changing and impacting people’s lives.”  

Speechless.  It’s so amazing how connected we are, and how people can come into each other’s lives at the perfect timing.  


Edmond and Clementine:  The Ugandan I became closest friends with during the 2009 trip to Uganda was Clementine (said Clementina),   We worked together on several session and found a kindred spirit in one another.  If you’ve been following my work for some time, you know who she is!

During our time together in 2009, I shared with Clementine about what I had just learned about Cornerstone Schools.  I knew that she had young men who she was caring for, and encouraged her to have them apply to Cornerstone Leadership Academy.  I didn’t think anything more of the conversation.
Edmond's CV Intern Photo
Clem, sharing with the group in 2009
In 2011 I met Edmond Elasu, and interviewed him for our Cornerstone Veritas internship program. While talking with him, I realized that he was one of Clementine’s nephews.   Later, I asked Clementine about it.  She told me that after our conversation in 2009, she had encouraged Edmond to apply for Cornerstone Leadership Academy for Boys because there was not enough money in the family at the time to send him to his last 2 years of high school.  He applied and was accepted.

Picking coffee with Clem last year...
Edmond graduated from CLA Boys in 2011 and was a Cornerstone Veritas intern in the 2012 Internship year.  He then joined junior staff, and will become the Cornerstone Veritas Administrator when I leave!  He is taking over our work… all because of a casual conversation under a mango tree in 2009.  

Clem is still one of my closest friends.  Last time I visited the states, I took crafts she made and that I helped her design.  She made some good money!  

Edmond's current staff photo



Fr. Herald Brock:  In 2009, our team from Europe expected to be the only white people at our conference. But when we began the course we were surprised to find a tall, grey rob clad, American Franciscan joining us!  Personally, I think Franciscans are great, so naturally I took time to talk with him and get to know more about him and his work.  He had come to Emmaus with a car load of young people from his youth group in Torit, South Sudan, where he had been working for a few years.   I enjoyed spending time with his youth and hearing about his work.

We remained in touch when I went back to the States.  When I decided to travel back to Eastern Africa in the summer of 2010 and asked him if he was hosting any teams at that time.  It turned out he was!  He invited me to be part of their 3 week team, which would travel across South Sudan.  Of course, I accepted.
Fr. Herald and Noelle in South Sudan
 My time in South Sudan was life changing, and deepened my heart for the African continent greatly.  At the end of my time in South Sudan, I asked Fr. Herald if he would be my spiritual direct (another word for Christian Mentor), and he agreed.  For the last 3 years we have regularly emailed and met several times a year, usually in Uganda (at Emmaus).  He no longer lives in South Sudan, but he is still the person from “outside” that I see the most.  He has been a consistent support, encouragement and advisor through the ups and downs of the past 3 years.  Because of his experience of living and working in Africa, he has been an incredible mentor and guide, all because we both showed up and the same place, at the same time in Uganda, July 2009.

Susana and Peter:   Rewind to 2005.  A dark, dank, and cold night in London, England.  I had journeyed by myself to a small meeting of Koinonia in some random part of London.  When I arrived, I met some nice people as we stood outside in the cold for a while because we were locked out.  The meeting was nice, and I was invited to an event the next night with them.  I convinced my sister Hannah, who I was traveling in London with, to attend the Saturday night event with me.  There, I met Susana from Uganda.  She was dynamic, fun and African!  I cornered her and we talked for a while.  She had a great story and was really fun.

But we lost touch.  In 2007, when Facebook became open to people who weren’t at university, I signed up.  Who should find me but Susana!  She had just gotten married to some guy named Peter, and sent me a message just saying Hi.  Because she had worked in London, she knew some of the people I traveled to Uganda with in 2009.  So, we met up with her and her husband Peter, in Kampala for a day!  It was great to reconnect with her.  

As we said goodbye, I asked if I could stay with them if I ever came back to visit.  They said an enthusiastic yes.  Then, just as they were walking away, Peter turned around and informed us that Susana was 2 months pregnant!  
S&P 2009 visiting with our team in Kampala
My favorite family, a few weeks ago after enjoying Indian food
 Well, I did come back and I did stay with them, for 10 days in June of 2010.  Their son was then 5 months old, and a little afraid of his new muzungu (white) auntie.  Well, he’s now 3, and not at all afraid of me anymore.  He now has a brother, and the two of them are probably my favorite children in Uganda.  Susana and Peter have been a pillar of friendship, love, support and encouragement to me.  They let me stay with them many times, helped me recover from being sick, bought me my first sim card, taught me to use taxis, and have been a rock in the midst of a lot of craziness.  We’ve been through a lot together over the last 4 years, I would not have survived Uganda without them. 


And there are even more!

To me, these are incredible stories of how connected the world is, and how little we comprehend the impact of our actions and choices.  I had no idea that I would spend 3 years of my life in Uganda, or that all these amazing people would play a large role in my life.  I value each of these people so much, and am grateful beyond words for those “random”… or not so random, 10 days in Uganda in 2009.  

No comments:

Post a Comment