Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Friday, June 8, 2012

A very strange Easter: Burundi

Over Easter I traveled to Burundi with a friend from Cornerstone Rwanda named Sam.  He had been invited to speak at a Youth Conference that a local church was putting on.  I had asked him what he was doing for Easter and he invited me to join.  How could I refuse a trip to Burundi!  I, incorrectly, assumed that he has been there before.   We didn't even know if I'd be allowed into the country, and there were no buses that had space because of the Easter weekend, we ad to spend a night at a guest house in Butare...

It was a great adventure!  Sadly not many of the photos turned out very well.  The boarder let me through for 40 dollars and a long wait, and we took small car taxis all the way to Bujumbora!

At the youth event we spoke along the same lines as we had at the Vision conference.  Burundi is in HUGE need of Leadership development.  We have a real vision for how we can make a difference in this very sad, exhausted, but beautiful country.  I loved Burundi, it really stole my heart. 

We were well taken care of by our Ugandan and Kenyan hosts. I really enjoyed the mother and son I stayed with.  They were incredibly wonderful!  Since we were working with a pentecostal church, on Easter Sunday morning we attended their service.  And they asked me to preach!  It was crazy, but cool.  I never thought I would preach an Easter Sunday sermon at a pentecostal church... but there I was!  Easter and Christmas isn't really celebrated in Francaphone Africa.  I am not really sure why, that's just what I've been told/experienced.  So there wasn't any real celebration, which was very weird and a bit hard for me. 

But the young people were amazing.  We also got a day to visit with our Cornerstone Youth Corps home in Burundi, and go to Lake Tanganika!   Burundi is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  I would highly recommend it... as long as you are the somewhat adventurous sort. 

I had a rare experience... I attended a genocide memorial time with Chris and Sam, both Rwandans.  It was a profound experience.  April is a month of mourning for all Rwandans, no matter where they are.  Spending 2 weeks of April in Rwanda was a sobering experience, where I learned a lot about Rwanda and the experience of their people. 

Sam introducing himself

My dear friend, Alex. He is 5, and speaks 7 languages!!!!

One side of the hall...

Enjoying!

Cornerstone Bros at the lake.

The men and the mountains

So beautiful....

Norbert enjoyed the amazing view and getting to know Chris!

Pastor Paddy and his family, who invited us!

No comments:

Post a Comment