Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Rwanda Photo Post!


So sorry for the delay on these posts... life is a little crazy after Malaria!

After Arua, I traveled at night back to Kampala, then had the weekend to rest and pack before hitting the road again to Rwanda.  I took a night bus to Kigali, which of course seriously delayed.  I was in Rwanda to be a speaker at the Vision Conference.  This conference has been going on for several years.  It is for high school students, who are not able to attend Cornerstone Leadership Academy.  There were over 300 young people there, and I was there to speak on the theme, which was the importance of having a vision for your life.  It was a great conference, complete with a community service activity, which was mudding a house!  That's been one of the things I've wanted to do in Africa for a long time!




Johnson, head master of CLA Rwanda speaking to the young people. (Johnson is one of my best friends in the Cornerstone family.  He's a really amazing man)

Our Cornerstone students, who help run the conference, singing a song with Johnson

Bridget!  My amazing host sister!  I stayed with a local family in the town of Nyamatta.  They were amazing!

Mixing the mud the throw on the walls!

Getting "feet on" ...

Claudine and I had a blast mixing... though it was somewhat painful

Johnson stayed clean and "managed"

One of 3 houses mudded that day... the real mudding happened inside on the walls

Finally becoming African

Participants in class

CLA friends making me laugh... hands and feet (whole self) covered in mud!


It was a great day.  One of the Rwandan guys taught me how to throw mud like a pro, and I helped inside the house for several hours to add a good layer of mud to the crumbling walls. By the end I was covered, head to toe, with mud!  We all had worked very hard to help 3 families in need!  The participants were shocked to see a white person mudding a house.  How else are we supposed to model Servant Leadership? 




No comments:

Post a Comment