Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, January 23, 2012

This is why I do what I do.

I know you all hear a lot about Masaka, but I do come here a lot... do a lot of work here... and have a very deep love for the people I know here.  So, more about Masaka.

Tonight, I am writing from the Mawanda's house.  I've never stayed here before... but because of my almost Jesus like wandering living situation, I was able to come and stay with this beautiful family for a night.  I will be sleeping in 6 different beds in 9 days this week! ... 5 of them are in a row. 

As much as I don't like carrying everything I own on my back, it does mean I get time with people I love, and am able to really invest in relationships. 

The last day has been inspiring beyond words.  I was encouraged by my mentor at Cornerstone, Alfred Edekasi, to collect stories from the places where we've run the 10 principles course.  So instead of focusing on work work work this week, I've decided to focus on people and relationships. 

These stories are blowing me away.  I will try to regularly post them, as well as putting them in some small booklet form or something... they are so inspiring and encouraging. 

As much as I'd like to write all of them here right now... I will just give you the best one...

"... before I did not have peace.  Now, I have peace"  Winfred...  She was sharing with me about how she use to be very reactive, it had damaged all of her relationships and she had no peace in her life.  But now, as she is striving to live more proactively, her relationships with others have been repaired, you can see a visable change in her face... and she now knows peace.

This is why I do what I do.


I've been in Masaka for over a week.  I was teaching at a youth program at a youth center called Delta which is run by one of my new best friends Fr. Michael... such a great person. 

The week long program went very well.  We had 50 participants, including 3 young men who are working as Cornerstone Veritas interns.  They loved the program and even helped me facilitate a little bit.  The week reminded me how much I love young people.  We had an awesome facilitating team... over 20 people worked together to make this thing.

I taught 5 session and helped with a night session as well.  It was a lot, but it was a good a lot.  We, the team, got up before 6 everyday!  And, I actually managed to get up every day!!  That is a miracle.

The week was especially deep for me, as I've been going through some personal challenges.  A few things happened which brought me to a new and positive place in my life.  I think a lot of it had to do with being in a really loving environment, consistantly for more than a few days... I really needed that constant love to help me to heal and be restored.

I spent last night with my family at HTCommunity and am now with the Mawandas... and my heart is continuing to be refreshed.   These people bless me more than I can fully express. 


Sometimes, you just need love and acceptance.   This is Masaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment