Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year! Welcome to 1980!

So my blog posts about the holidays will be backwards... :)


My New Years was saved by a last minute facebook post.  I saw that one of my white friends was going to be in Kampala for New Years, and I asked her what she was doing, which led to me getting myself invited to the small gathering of our “group” of white people.  There are about 30-40 young, white, expat development workers, most of whom are Christian who do things together.  Generally we meet weekly for dinner and some random discussion, but we also throw parties and celebrate holidays together sometimes.  Thanksgiving being the most notable.

I thought the whole crew was away, but on New Years Eve found out that a faithful few had returned from various Christmas travels.  It was a dinner party, I took dessert… which was a hit, thankfully. 

I was so grateful to be with my white friends on New Years.  I know that sounds strange, but we celebrate very differently than Ugandans do.  My sanity was not telling me that being in a big church for 9 hours, overnight, was going to be my best bet.  Many African spend New Years in church… which is cool.  I have nothing wrong with that, it just was not what I was up for.

The food was great.  The people and random things we did were very fun.  It’s a fantastically “safe” group of people… so just a lot of laughing and strange conversation.  Good strange. 

We decided that we wanted to watch the ball drop, but seeing as we are 8 hours ahead of New York, we knew that wasn’t really possible.  But Bethany and I put our heads together.  We decided to find the oldest ball drop video online and use that.  YouTube had a 1963-1964 video which we went with.  But right during the count down the internet stopped working , and for some reason jumped to the ball drop of 1979-1980.  So we saw that ball dropping, but they had no count down… so we were all rather confused.  Finally we just decided it was new years as a very bright colored (VERY 80’s) screen came up on the video saying 1980!

We all toasted our champagne and wished each other a very happy 1980.

The rest of the night consisted of very bored development practitioners trying to find fun things to do.  We did an online quiz to see if we could name all the Disney movies, and also all the countries of the world.  We did ok.  Then the 4 of us who were still around realized that none of us actually lived in the house where we were and that everyone who did had gone to bed/was in their room.  So we decided we should probably leave.

Finishing off the bottles of champagne, we decided it was not time to end this party.  It was me, Scott K, Scott A, and Bethany.  Both of the Scotts live in the neighborhood we were in.  Scott K had his car, so we went to his place (which is sssuuupppeerr nice).  Then, at 2 am, we started a game of Monopoly.   

Apparently there is strategy in Monopoly, and Scott K and Bethany apparently know this strategy.   I wasn’t really paying too much attention to actually winning.  Scott K killed us all. 

Then we wanted to get on the roof, to see if there were any fireworks.  But the roof was inaccessible.  However, the water tower was not.  Scott A and I went looking for other climbing options, and Scott K and Bethany went up the water tower.  I also checked out Scott K’s boy’s housing.  Most African compounds have a separate house for the young men/cousins/ random gate keepers/etc.  But no one is living in Scott’s right now, and I am thinking about moving in there if I have need.  It’s a nice place, a sitting room, small bedroom and very nice bath. Nice and private too.

Then I joined them on the water tower and told them the view wasn’t very good.  And because of the lack of view, we decided to go see my view, on top of my apartment.  So at about 3:30 we got in the car and drove the 5 minutes to my place, climbed the stairs to the roof and enjoyed the great view.  We eventually randomly started looking up bible verses about Justice, which proved an amusing conversation.

They headed out about 4:30 and I went to bed.  For just a moment I felt like I was back where I do fun, exciting and random things with people… which has generally not been my African experience.

At 10:15 on New Years Day I was woken up by the loudest music in the world.

What a great start to the new year. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment