Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Christmas Part 2: Christmas Morning


I was awoken on Christmas morning at probably close to 5:30 AM (after sleeping at nearly 2 am) by one of Ugandan’s favorite Christmas songs being blared through the house.  Half the family was up.  For the next 2 hours, I went in and out of sleep.  I was glad that Carol wasn’t up, we got up at the same time.  

Just as I got out of bed, Papa told me he was leaving.  I threw on some proper clothes so that I could say goodbye to him before he went for his service at the outstation where he is in charge.  The morning was a bit slow.  I gave Carol her Christmas gift (a nice year planner) and she ran around the house, jumping up and down with excitement at this gift.  It’s amazing how far a small gift goes here.  When you don’t get gifts, receiving one is something huge.  Eventually we had breakfast together, and I gave a gift to the family…. Sugar and hot chocolate mix.  A very Ugandan gift.  I played a last game of Snake and Ladders with Jude to keep him occupied, and then rested a little while while everyone else got ready.

We went up to the main road, and I said goodbye to the beautiful family.  I jumped a taxi which took me all the way to Nakawa Market.  It was amazing to see how everything was open on Christmas and there were large numbers of people shopping!  Public transport was in full swing, and there were many cars on the road.  I got home about 10:30 and took a nap because I hadn’t slept much the night before.  Then I got up and started cooking for the rest of the day…

My internet decided not to work, so I only got to talk to Martha for a few short minutes.  

Christmas morning I was greeted by a small kitten outside my door

A present!
Me and the kids... ready to open
Jude excited about coco and sugar!

Dora, Tina and silly Carol reading their Christmas card from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment