Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Friday, July 8, 2011

West Side, Best Side: Grand Rapids

Having lived in Grand Rapids for close to two years, you learn all the fun sayings about the place... like "West side best side" which refers to the West Side of Michigan of course.  And at this moment for me Grand Rapids west side is truly the best place for me to be this week.  I love the place, the people... and feeling so comfortable in such a beautiful city.

My west side visit started with disappointment in Ann Arbor right before I left.  I learned that an Africa I work with is not going to be able to attend a conference in Spain which I had helped set up for him.  It was another reminder of how incredibly frustrating it can be to work in Africa, things often just don't work out. 

However, as I drove to Grand Rapids and considered things, I realized that this consent disappointment, which is very difficult, is also something I need to get use to.  I am not sure how to do this, but I hope that I can.  As I thought hard about it, driving beautiful I-96 across the state, only one word came to mind.

Love.

You can get all worried and concerned about project, programs, dreams, visions, hopes, plans... but at the end of the day most of those things, in Africa, won't work out.  The African Vortex destroyed good intentions.  But what nothing can ever destroy is love.

Mother Theresa is quoted saying "Do small things with great love"... I think she got it.  I think she knew that big things fall apart, and also that success can make us prideful.   But small things, they are easy.  And it's love, not massive projects or programs, that is going to change the world.

So once again I am brought back.  Simply, momentarily, reminded that the only thing I can do is love, and love well.  When I try to do other things they often fail.  But love will never fail, never fade, and will always win. 

So, I'm going to love the Africans I work with into development... let's see how that goes!!  :D


Side note...
I say that in a funny way... but it's only when a person begins to love their neighbor that development based on the value of the human person makes sense.  What the developing world needs are lovers who hold the dignity of the other above all else.  That will change the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment