Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bags and Boxes, and we're away!

I know I still need to finish the Kabale Chronicles.  But at this moment I wanted to post about moving.

Easter night they had a good bye party for me, which was hard and beautiful.  They gave me a really nice cake, which just read "We Love you".  So many people have come up to me and spoken to me about how I have impacted their lives.  I will really miss these people.  They are wonderful.

I leave tomorrow morning.  Somehow, through handme downs, gifts, packages from America, desperate need for clothing and my love for buying books, I have accumulated 4 small boxes and 3 bags worth of stuff.  Now let me say: all of it is food, books, and clothes.  Honestly.  I am a bit embaraced to own so many possession but I really do need all the things I own!  I am giving away a good pile of things. 

It's a long way from one hiking backpack that I started with! 

In Kampala, I know I will get even more.  I think I am going to properly invest in a desk.  It feels so strange to be buying furniture!!  SO perminant!  But even if I only use it for 6 weeks (which I won't, it'll get used for a long time to come), it will be worth it.  I have so much work to do that needs a good space. 

My room options are nice, but I don't own very many essential room things.  My books will continue to be housed in boxes converted into stackable book shelves.  Thankfully I will have a nice closet, but I think I'll need to buy hangers!   I don't even own real bed sheets!  I've made a small budget to get some of these things.  I think I'll be able to find them cheap enough, or I might have to stick with my sleeping bag and liner sheet! 

These are the joys of living in common.  All these things, all the furniture, bed, bed sheets, hangers, etc have been given to me to use by the community!  It's strange to be leaving that setting after being use to it now.  My future roommate is very generous and I know there will be lots of sharing, but it's still not quite the same. 

But really, I hate MOVING.  I love to Travel, but moving is something different.  I am a bit nervous that this move will be stressful because I have to take all my belongings with me by bus.  I am dreading getting off the bus in Kampala and having to deal with those men.

I'm expecting a visitor in Kampala in a few weeks, which will be nice.  I think most of my Kampala friends are slowly finding out that I am coming.  I look forward to seeing how my great network of people open up for some enjoyment, relaxation and a heck of a lot of work! 

So, off into the unknown.  Tomorrow morning, taking the world by storm.  I am ready, but sad to be leaving these people.  It's an adventure, and I know it is meant to be embraces and enjoyed while it can be... as one of my friends said here "like Love!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment