Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Changes and an explanation

Hello Readers!
   I am trying to buy my plane ticket back to America, and I am having an internet battle!  I hope it works!

I would like to update you all on where I am at with my work and what the next steps hold.

Over the last 2 months I have been able to do a lot of teaching and work around Uganda.  I have been developing a course which incorporates personal life management with the ideas of self sustainability.  It is based on the 7 habits of highly effective people.  I have now given the full course twice, and part of it another 2 times.

I am also working to develop this material, with a friend named Javis who works with Cornerstone Leadership Development, into a leadership program for Senior 5 students.  Senior 5 is a junior in high school.  We have had doors open in Masaka, to bring in this leadership formation program to Catholic schools there!  We are aiming to train the teachers this August and launch the program in one school in September!

However, because of the set back with my computer, there is a lot of work to do over the next 8 weeks to recover what was lost and fully complete the two programs.

My work at Yesu Ahuriire has been slow, but it also has had some small impacts.  I've been able to teach some people computer skills, outline some grants, and successfully started a craft group. 

There is one other major change in my life.  After Easter, I am moving away from Yesu Ahuriire Community.  I am sad about this, as I had high hopes to continue doing development work here.  However, my health has been terrible the whole time I have lived here.   When I leave the actual location of where I live, I am healthy!  It is enormously frustrating.

Some of my work will continue via email.  Also I will regularly come back to visit this my adopted family!!  I will miss the people and the beautiful hills, but I know that this is the best things for me to do right now.

I have been given a fantastic living situation in Kampala.  I will be living there for 6 weeks, writing the Masaka program, and volunteering with the Missionaries of Charity (this is direct service of the poorest of the poor...if all goes as I plan!).

On June 6th, I will be returning to America for 2 months.  This will be a time of both rest and work.  There is a lot of work to be done on the American front in order for my work in Africa to continue.  I will keep you updated on events and ways you can get involved even more with my work!

I will return to Uganda in August to run the teacher training and program implementation in Masaka.  I will probably live there for a few weeks.  This also will be a chance for me to continue helping Holy Trinity Community with their self sustainable efforts.  Then I will possibly be based in Kampala, most likely continuing to do some teaching/speaking around Uganda and also hopefully continued development consulting for different groups.  If my work with the Missionaries of Charity (service of the poor) goes will I will also continue that.  However, there are some other things which are in the pipe line which might happen.  I am playing it by ear.

The end of the year plans are still up in the air, but I will fill you in as they become more certain!

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry your health has been poor but I am SO EXCITED to see you!!!

    Can't wait for your visit to the States in June :o)

    Blessings and hugs!

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete