Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cooking with Cockroaches


Before I moved to Kampala, I was doing my own cooking in Mbarara.  This was because the food was making me so sick I had to try to control the situation a bit.  It only helped a little.

In the kitchen where i cooked, there was a small cockroach that would come and visit me while cooking.  This annoying and disguisting creature caused me to send food flying all over the kitchen one day in a totally  unwise assasination attempt.  By the time I left Mbarara, I had gotten sort of use to one "run by" of Mr. Cockroach each time I cooked.

Just to clarify, I really hate cockroaches.  Everything about them revolts and digusts me.  I HATE them. 

So then I moved to Kampala.  The day went flawlessly and I was so happy!  Then I go into the kitchen with Esther my roommate.  She's showing me around and says "oh these draws have a small cockroach infestation".  I said "Oh, let's fix that right now." So I got my bug killer and TOTALLY fumugated the draws.  Not much later, we were happily cooking together in our beautiful kitchen, when out of the corner of my eye is se a cockroach.

This creature was not a Mbarara cockroach.  I SCREAMED.   It was over 2 inches long and fat.  It was HUGE.  A city cockroach.  I totally scared Esther, and she laughed hard at me when she realized why I was so upset.  She killed it.

So we go back to cooking.  Not 2 minutes later, another VERY large cockroach shows up in the same place.  This time I run out of the kitchen totally unable to take it. I may have jump up and down screaming a bit… I might have.  Esther kills it again.  I pretty much spent the rest of the night with a can of insect killer.  We killed a total of 6 HUGE roaches. 

Life can never be perfect.  It's pretty close right now, but me and the roaches are NOT friends. 

They are really gross. 

So I cook with a spoon in one hand and a can of insecticide in the other.  :)


Note:  I think we’ve won.  I have seen only 3 since the first night.  Though last night the one in the bathroom was pretty much the king of roaches.  *shiver*

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading back through the blog posts that I missed. I confess, I laughed out loud at the picture of you jumping and screaming at the cockroach. Thank you! I needed that!

    ReplyDelete