Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Photo Post! Uganda so far...



My incredible Hosts in Kampala! Susanna, Peter and their beautiful son Teindi. I am Teindi’s favorite (and only) white auntie. He wasn’t afraid of me!





Old friends in new places… Maureen and I met last year at the conference I facilitated at Emmaus Center. She works at one of Cornerstone Leadership Development’s homes for street children. She is a beautiful woman and truly a servant of the poor around her. She was totally shock to see me in her living room! It was a beautiful reunion!




With a wonderful man named Councilor, I was able to visit with 4 of Cornerstone’s homes for street children. These are beautiful places, full of hope, peace, respect and joy. The program gives these children a chance to succeed at life. The phone above is one of their boys homes. Many of these boys would be new to this home. In the background you can see the black board on which the mentors are teaching the youth basic skills, such as telling time.




I was incredibly blessed to be taken to the Cornerstone Ranch (which is an actual working ranch, 3 schools, and has over 2,000 people living on it’s 2.5 mile stretch of land!) where I stayed for a day an a half. Tim (teaching in the photo), is the director/founder of Cornerstone. He gave me and another western girl a day long private tour of the place. We joined him as he taught the Senior 5 class their weekly Character Development section. The theme of this teaching was reconciliation.





Girls in the library at the high school on the ranch. There is both a Boy’s Leadership Academy, as well as a very large high school which has boarders and day student. The high school is fully self sustaining!



Carrying water with the girls at the Girls Cornerstone Leadership Academy. If you look closely, you can see that my can is a little smaller than the others. BUT I did carry it on my head, all the way from the well. It was about half a mile walk. Also, if you look very closely you will see that there is something between our heads and the can. It’s a banana leaf! The girls taught me who to make a small base so it doesn’t hurt your head so much.




Cleaning with the girls. The girls at CLA were incredible human beings! I really loved my time with them. They had never seen a white person work, and of course that was what I was there to do. They found it shocking that I would do everything that they did! This was cleaning chairs in preparation for a big day of celebration on Sunday when their families where coming to visit. It was a lot of fun!



Happiness is unpacking your backpack! This was a very joyful moment for me! I was finally staying in a place long enough to remove all the things I needed from my backpack and put my pack away! It felt so good to be able to have a space where my stuff was out and able to be easily found. It has been wonderful to be in one place for 2 weeks!




William and Anna: William and Anna are members of Emmaus Community. They had me over for lunch and supper (I have been going around to the different families homes for meals, it has been wonderful). These two have been married for 7 years, but are unable to have children. However, they are parents… to 10 children! They have taken in 10 orphans, 5 are related to them and 5 are not! They pay their school fee, cloth them, and provide a lot of love and care. It is an incredible witness to what African are doing for each other! They also have dreams of starting some small business ventures. I have been able to do a lot of talking with people about this, as well as some planning! I have really enjoyed being a part of their plans for development.



Some of the Orphans at the Children’s Ark. On Saturday I walked with my friends Francis and Hilary to the Children’s Ark up the road. It is an orphanage which houses over 80 children. It was begun and continues to be run by a visionary African man with a real heart for those who have nothing. We visited and got a tour of Saturday, then I returned on Sunday. I visited with the older girls and spoke with them about being a woman, and how we have value. Then we sang some funny songs and played a very long and intense game of “netball”. It was a great time!

More to come... sorry there aren't very many! The internet is a big issue here!

1 comment:

  1. Hello sister,

    though there are a few, many thanks for sharing these pictures with us. I see you are becoming quite an african woman ... lol.

    Keep up the hard and good work.

    Keep your head up

    One love

    ReplyDelete