Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Goodbyes

Africans have some funny traditions. One of them is that when a visitor (especially a white one) leaves they put you up at a head table and give speeches. These speeches are often terribly long and slightly awkward.

So last night I knew I was in for it. Yes, a head table. Thankfully several Africans joined me, including a Kenyan who is also leaving today. But this time it wasn't so terrible. This community has the art of brevity! I love it! So people said very kind things and I felt very loved. They gave me at least 3 yards of beautiful fabric to have a dress made from! Hooray!!

Father's comments were beautiful, and almost too much. I am going to miss him and this community a lot more than I am ready to admit. (no tears, no tears, no tears)

I thought about this a lot today...

4 years and 2 months ago a 19 year old semi punk girl from the states was wandering around Rome by herself. During that trip she met many amazing people, and has worked hard to keep in touch with many of them. They have graciously returned the favor.

And now, one of those people has totally changed this now 23 year old African wanderers life. The time here at Yesu Ahuriire Community has changed everything... in a beautiful way! Father Emmanuel is an incredible human being, whom I am excited to be working with for many more years.

I love how these crazy adventures all end up mingling together to make something which is surprisingly beautiful.


Just a note: The next stage will take me to Masaka for 9 days. Then I am off to Kenya. I am very unsure how much internet I will have in Kenya. So if you don't hear from my for a while... that is why!

No comments:

Post a Comment