Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Friday, July 19, 2013

What the heck!? part two: What I do each day

So, we have established that I am living in Austria this summer.  But what the heck am I doing?

If you follow me on facebook, you might get the impression of fun, rest, adventure, and constant enjoyment.



This is somewhat true, but probably not the whole picture.

I am currently volunteering as a "intern" with ORA International Austria.  It is a small NGO, which has partner offices in over 20 countries.  The developed world offices partner with people on the ground in developing nations throughout the world.  ORA began with aid to Eastern Europe after the wall fell, and is still active there today.

I worked with ORA International in Arua, Uganda.  We ran the 10 principles of leadership for their staff.  It was a great success.  My dear friend, Katharina (mentioned earlier) is now the CEO of ORA in Austria.  Thus, when I needed a place for the summer, it fit well with what I do and what they need.

I work at the ORA office 3-4 days a week. I am basically consulting for them. Currently, I am helping them to develop a system of monitoring and evaluation, working on creating Win Win partnerships, creating easy to use project request forms, as well as listening to situations and trying to ask the right questions.  (I also help where I can with whatever odd job needs to get done.  The other day it was to take nice photos at the flea market, and today it will be doing some adding/checking of the finances.)  

Kat and I in beautiful Sherding


This is a great opportunity for me to try out being a consultant!  And, so far, so good.  It's a lot of research and learning, but I know that the knowledge I will gain here will help me in future consulting work. 

Mantler Family at Jakob's graduation
At the same time, the "not full time" nature of the internship allows me to do something which I do not find at all fun... job search.  I am currently in the process of trying to find a job in Grand Rapids, Mi for this fall.  It is an enormous amount of work, and it is time consuming.  Thankfully, I am able to create blocks of time to dive into trying to find a job.  I am applying for between 5-10 jobs per week.  It's a lot of work, and hasn't paid off at all yet, but I am trying to stay optimistic.

From what I've written so far, it may sound like life is slow and not very busy.  But that is not actually true.  Katharina and I have a running joke that I am actually her "personal assistant".  I am trying to be helpful everywhere... so "everywhere" included:  the ORA office, wedding prep, helping at home, helping to fix up their new house, creating relaxation for the somewhat stressed couple, and joining them for various life/family
adventures (attending Jakob's graduations, washing dishes and taking photos at Uncle Max's celebration of 50 years of priesthood, visiting friends at a sports camp, etc).
 
"Girl's Night" includes a run to the hardware store
Jakob and Katharina are getting married in a little less than a month.  Needless to say, there is a TON to do.  They bought a beautiful house, but it needs a lot of work.  So, some days, after work, we go to the house and work late into the night.  Or work on something for the wedding.  Or pack up things.  Or watch TV.  We also often have friends come on the weekends to help with the house... this means that we also work all day Saturdays and sometimes Sunday too.  I am mastering the art of taping for painting! 

It is a full and beautiful life.  Small town Austria may sound at first like it would be boring, but it is in fact quite exciting.

I have "my" bicycle (which needs some serious oiling) and that makes me decently free to move about however I like.  I like it because I can then take small adventures like randomly going shoe shopping or stopping for ice cream after work.  This works very well, because it means Katharina and I can have different schedules.  We have agreed that this arrangement is working out great.  We are able to be in the on me place and actually get work done, but we are also comfortable to not "always be around each other"... so it is pretty perfect.

Her family and I already knew each other before I came, and  deeply love them.  Austria is a surpringingly familial culture.  And I love it, being with a family is refreshing and restorative to me.

So yes, I am enjoying life, looving my work, and I am able to rest when my weary body needs it.  But I am not on a permanent vacation; I am working very hard with wonderful people and am proud of all the things we are doing together. I promise to keep up posting pictures. 

And yes, I am making new friends and having some fun adventures too...





No comments:

Post a Comment