Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, February 18, 2013

Visions of the future

I've been meeting some new expats recently.

Some of them are working in South Sudan, connect to Cornerstone by building us a leadership academy there.

Another few were just passers through, or random connections.

But the trend has been clear, new people, who all are whispering into my life.  I often think we don't listen, we... us... humans... we just live.  Or exist.  We rarely listen to what is happening in life around us.  Perhaps if we did, we would understand more deeply some of the answers to our deepest questions.

Anyways, not to jump off the deep end too fast, I've been noticing a trend.  Many of the people I've been meeting are Africa "returnees"... people who have done a 1-3 year stint some where in Africa, then went back to the States to get a degree, make money, get married, but who have now returned.  And they've returned in a big way.  They have come back with experience, funding, vision and a much deeper understanding of what they do.

This encourages me deeply.  I see myself.  I find solace and hope in these people.

Their lives speak of several things to me:  experience, understanding, expertise, education... but also community, knowing your needs and getting them, balance, grace, and drive.  They want to contribute and know that they can.  Their commitment inspires me, they are undaunted yet fully aware.

Some come back together.  And this gives me endless ideas, which fill me with joy.  Married, working in Africa.  Yes. 

Very few short termers come back, but those who do, should. 

I'm inspired, and through this given a vision, a hope, for what my late twenties/early thirties can look like.  A paid job, a real place, community, Africa, life changing work.

Of course, coming back means going first, but that's not a bridge we need to cross yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment