Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back to Life

 Last night, over a "welcome home, I am so glad you are back" dinner, made by my housemate/good freind Esther... I couldn't help but gush how grateful I am for my room and our apartment in general.  My space is a gift, a blessing, and I will never forget that.

It's been nice to be back. I am rather tired, and not really sure why.  I wasn't expecting to do much until Monday.  But yesterday I was given a chance to go to the Missionaries of the Poor.  They are a Catholic group of men who run a home home for over 250 people who had formerly been living on the streets.  The truly "poorest of the poor".  There are a good number who are handicapped, mentally disabled, and have AIDS.

The place is amazing. The people who work there are incredibly joyful, loving and kind.  The atmosphere is chaotic, but at the same time everything runs smoothly.  I was allowed to jump right in, feeding disabled kids, cleaning floors and faces, caring kids, and doing a little therapy with one of the little ones.  I really enjoyed volunteering there for the morning, and am hoping to go back regularly.  I already made some friends, and think it'll be a good place for me.  We'll see. Getting there and back was not fun, at all.  I really dislike public transport here.

Today I am off to a University not too far from my house to give a the closing take a a seminar which is finishing there today.  So much for not working till Monday!

Yesterday, after I got home (and took a nap... afternoon naps seem to be needed these days)... I FINALLY totally and completely finished my room!  It looks beautiful and everything has a place.  My mom would be proud.  This will last until tomorrow, when I get my other bag of stuff, which all has to find homes too!


When I moved to Africa, I had 2 pairs of shoes.  I brought a few more back from the States this time.
Ready to rock and (hopefully) stay organized.  Say hi to Norbert!

I love cork boards!  :D 

Desk area.

Bed side

No comments:

Post a Comment