Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

What do I DO with my life?

I'm improving a bit. Basically eating is a total battle. Tomorrow I am going into town and am going to buy my self a large meal at my favorite coffee shop.

The next two weeks are looking to be pretty insane. We are running an intensive course called Course Paul which has a lot of different activities and such involved. I have never done this course before, and am helping to facilitate, so it will be a steep learning curve.

I need to learn the noun classes for Runyankore. I haven't written about it here, but I am taking runyankore lessons, which are not very enjoyable. But I need to study so that they actually have some value to me. But time... doesn't exist.

I wanted to take a moment to explain some of the other work I do, and what I will be doing full time after the school is over.

Basically I am getting involved with development consultation for a number of different groups. Mostly this is helping people understand the important of self sustainability, especially when it come to starting new projects. It is more than just self sustainability as well, I am trying to help people see how we can work together and assist those who live in deep poverty.

Also, I am working on a "course" (a set of teachings which can be used in different settings), some training which brings together different elements of basic international development with personal success training. It's hard to explain exactly. Basically I am taking the 7 habits of Highly effective people, along with some other personal management materials, infusing some sustainable development training, all on the back drop of the need for a transformed society.

The hope is to be able to expand this into a program for elementary schools as well, so that the students can grow up with the character development that is not naturally found in Ugandan society. (there are ideals like timeliness, money management, respect and responsibility {a real understanding of why it is needed, instead of it being abused}, etc.)

I've already been invited to give these courses in Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and in different parts of Uganda! We'll see what all happens with this!

I'll be giving my first set of training on the community retreat in the end of January. The outlines at due by Nov 12th. Yikes! But I am getting there. I am also working with a man from Zimbabwe a bit this week, he is here to visit and wants to start a youth center. We are going to look at how to begin the work so that it is self sustainable from the start.

In other news, Shalom Center is done! I've included a photo from Luigi's camera, which was taken about 3 weeks ago. The building is beautiful and they are moving in on Nov 15th. They will start with 3 staff and 10 people (who we already know, not straight off the streets) who are in need of some restoration, love and care to help them over come their mental illness.  There will be a few children as well, who need some special care.  It is incredibly exciting! My hope is to spend time helping at Shalom as often as I can when the school is over. Just to clean, love the women and children, and lend a helping hand.   To love those in desperate need.

I am will be working with the community after the retreats to increase the size of some of their projects. The projects are self sustaining but are bringing in no revenue for the community. This HAS to change.

So, that, and more, is what I do with my life!  Oh, and I also write... a lot.

Luigi and Noelle, saying "a little" in spanish... a long standing inside joke.  I miss this small Italian!

No comments:

Post a Comment