Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Monday, October 15, 2012

Happiness is...



Sitting in Clemintine’s house and talking about crafts and life.

Today was one of those days that Americans would struggle with.  I didn’t “accomplish” a whole lot.  I traveled to Emmaus early this morning, after the adventure of the broke bed last night.  (Sort of a long story, but very TIA) 

I had planned to go and help them to start the TPX program, and also meet with my mentor Fr. Herald.  I got to Emmaus about 9:30 and they asked if they could change our original program.  I have become incredibly flexible here in Africa, but this was one time I had to say “No” because I wanted to be free whenever Fr. Herald arrived.

So we quickly gathered in the DTS Classroom, with the group of students I had taught just 3 weeks ago the full 10 Principles Short Course.   To be honest, I didn’t really know what I was doing.  This was the first time that I had given out this course in the full format.  So I just made it up as I went along… fake it till you make it, right?  It wasn’t a huge success, but they understood how to self-facilitate the dynamic based program, which was the goal.

I was only given 1 hour, and I stayed within that time frame ( a small miracle).  Afterwards, I met with the head of the school and showed him a few things and got the money needed for the course.  Amazing.  It’s great to get paid for what you give out, at least it’ll cover the cost of printing, transport and all that. 

Then I waited.  I told a few people that Emmaus is one of the best places in the world to wait for anything.   

And it’s true. While I was waiting, I visited some good friends in the banana plantation.  Secondly, I went to check on the crafts I had ordered from Clemintine for my trip to the States.

They are beautiful!!  I am soo excited!  My favorite time of life in Uganda is sitting in her small room, talking, laughing, sharing, discussing culture shock and travels, talking about color, design, and paying her for her great work!  She is starting to feel a stronger, and is taking good care of herself these days, so she is more healthy and so joyful, it’s wonderful.  Happiness is spending time with my “Mama”… it’s just good for the soul.

After visiting Clem, I went to the chapel to pray and wait for lunch.  There I saw someone I did not expect.  Paula!  My old roommate from Mbarara!!  She is Kenyan, and I haven’t seen her in a year and 10 months!!  It was wonderful to see her, she is doing well.  That was really encouraging…

I ended up heading back to Kampala about 3 pm, otherwise I would have had to sleep over.  I will go back up there on Wednesday to see Father Herald.

See.  I didn’t “do” a lot today… but I would consider it a very good day.  Why are we so often defined by what we do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment