Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Babu washed my feet

I am in Gulu.  It's been a rough week.  We are giving the 10 principles of leadership at Mercy's Village Primary school for about 8 people (mostly teachers).  The course its self is going well. 

But Carol got really sick, I am crazy tired, and it's just been a trying week.

We were greatly blessed, the whole week, to have one of the most incredible people I know be with us on the course.  His name is Paul Lukwiya.  He is in his early eighties and just a lover of people.  One of the wisest souls I have ever met, he has spent his life being a "father to every child".

He now goes by "Babu" which in Swahilli means "Grandfather".  He inspires me whenever I am near him, eminating encouragement, love, acceptance and understanding.  He is simple, but profound.  I am hoping to work with another white friend to help him write his biography!  (if I ever get time)  Babu works as the chairperson for Mercy's Village (as well as does a million other things for Cornerstone Development).

On the 10 principles of leadership course, the way we help people understand servant leadership is by doing a foot washing.  This is a time of relection, where the lead teachers and the leader of the group where we are working all wash the feet of the participants.

It is always a profound moment.  At this point in life, I have washed more feet than I can count.  It's always deep, always meaningful, and always puts the point across. 

I usually don't let myself get washed, or do at the very end after everyone has been finished. 

Today, I wanted to go and wash Babu's feet.  He isn't able to move very well, so I was going to go to his seat and serve him.  But before I could he pointed to me, and indicated that he wanted to wash mine!  How can you refuse the holiest 80 something year old man you know.  He took his time to stand, moved his chair in front of the class, made me sit in front of him, and washed my feet in the bucket in front of him. 

This is love. 

Sometimes I forget the strength of what we do.  The work we do has the power to transform... it is transforming people, everyday.  And today, I was reminded of that transformational power.

Babu washed my feet.  And I saw Jesus in front of me. 

I saw the greatest becoming the least, and the world is turned on its head, and beautiful things begin. 

I pray I will always answer to mandate to go and wash other's feet. 


And if I ever think I am giving too much, I will just think of Babu and remember that I have clean feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment