Subscribe Button

Keep Noelle in Africa!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Wednesday... this is when we stopped journaling

I think that tuesday night was the last night Leah and I wrote in our journals with a blow by blow of what was going on. Not because I didn't want to remember, but simply because by 11:30 on Wednesday night I was so tired that writing was the last thing I wanted to do.

So, these next several days will be a bit more scattered in terms of what exactly happened.

Wednesday: A much better day.

We were up at about 6:30 again. In Africa it's not as hard to get up at this hour. Life really revolves around the sun. The sun starts coming up at 6:30, and sets at 7 or 7:30... every day. So every morning going up to morning prayer I got to look out from the steps of the church and see the beautiful African sunrise.

I slept very well on Tuesday night, which I was incredibly grateful for. Wednesday morning Clemintina, who was aa African member of the team, gave an excellent meditation of 1st John. She spoke about being children of God. It really inspired me.

Some mornings I left the actual church and sat on the benches near the compound gate. On Wednesday I sat and looked at the beautiful earth beneath my feet. It is a deep red. My toes are still stained from it. (May they be forever) There was a good view from those benches, I could see part of the road and the well which was just outside the compound. Lots of people used that well. It was glorious sitting under the trees, praying, and watching the world I want to be a part of.

Once again team breakfast was at 8, with a meeting attached. We gathered at 9ish and I am sure that we had some silly song presented by David or Charles. Wednesday we started with another scripture talk. This one was about Old testament geography. Leah did an excellent job explaining how geography effected the history of Israel, as well as giving an over view of important dates and ruling empires. I learned a lot.

We had small groups after her talk. I had been given a new small group because a bunch of people had joined the conference late. So we had a good amount of time to get to know each other. I really liked both of my small groups. They asked a lot of questions (good questions) about biblical history. We had a good time getting to know one another.

We had tea break and then had session two. Alfred was back to do part 3 and 4 of his series. I think that the 3rd talk was about Being Proactive. I had asked Alfred the day before if we could have lunch together on Wednesday. So after the talk I met up with him and we sat together at the end of one of the long tables in the dinning room and had a really good chat. I heard all about what Cornerstone is doing. I asked a lot about what they do and how they do it. Pretty much they are about bringing up a new generation of good, strong leaders for Uganda (and actually all over Africa) so that change can be brought about by people of true character. It's incredible work they are doing. I told him my situation... he asked flat out what was keeping me from moving to Africa. I explained. I look forward to seeing how our paths will cross again.

The next session, also by Alfred was about writing our personal statements. He did an excellent job of articulating the need for goals and how to see them from start to finish. I think this was when he picked up the guitar randomly and sang the "Song I sing when I am defeated". It was in his first language (they all speak at least 4... not counting English)... and it was inspiring. I love how language isn't often about the words, but the message.

Alfred's session was earlier again, so we had a long afternoon break. I met with Clemintina on the benches under the trees. It was a wonderful (WONDERFUL) conversation!! :D We really became real friends there. We talked about everything. She had incredible insight into her own culture, which was so helpful. I learned so much from that woman. And we laughed a lot too. Then about 5 pm, Martin came over and was available to meet about our talk for the next day. This was an excellent time.

Pretty much he told me I wasn't allowed to use the out line I'd been given. I hadn't really wanted to, but thought that it was the material that we "had" to cover. He stole it from me and asked what I would talk on if I didn't have it. I told him I'd speak from the heart about my own experience of freedom and redemption in regards to the area of sexuality. He said... go for it. It was freeing. So our talk came together nicely. We agree to speak with Amlin and Fulgencio that night about the rest of the talk. (I don't know how to spell their names!)

At mass that evening, going up to communion, I got to randomly hold a little girl's hand. I thought it was Clare, but realized later it wasn't. It was a profound experience which truly solidified my desire to be the mother of African children.

7 pm sounded another dinner and team meeting. These meetings generally were just about how the day was going and what to expect that evening and the next day. This amount of communication was actually needed. At 8:30 we had another session with Dallas and PM about doing University work. I actually only heard one of their sessions... due to how things worked out.

I was scheduled to give a testimony at the start of the session. So I did. I spoke about my experiences in Grand Rapids and how having a Christian group at my university helped me grow in my faith during college, as apposed to loss it. The testimony went well I think... I ducked out of the meeting room right after I gave it. Martin and I walked over to Amlin and Fulgencio's house... it was my first time in an African home! We sat for about a half an hour sharing with them how we envisioned the next day going. It was a peaceful and helpful time of preparation.

Walking the short distance back to the compound the stars were incredible. Martin and I had a good chat. I was standing in awe of the fact I was in Africa. Instead of going to the rest of the session, I needed the time to work on my talk for the next day. About 40 minutes later Leah stuck her head in the room and asked if I was coming to team time because everyone else was there. I hadn't realized the session had ended, so I hurried over to our eating room.

I think that evenings team time was one of our funniest. I think the first question Mark asked for was the funniest things that had happened that day. So it was great. Then several inside team jokes were created about awkward dogs, and all in all it was a great team meeting... especially when we ALL cracked up when trying to pray over Martin. (A big part of this was that we were all pretty tired and getting really comfortable with each other... it was a great team of people!)

That night Leah and I talked for a while. I think she talked me to sleep... sleep which was needed for the next days happenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment